If you enjoy after dinner drinks, this Mexicocoa is the perfect end to a delicious meal, especially on a cool evening. It’s definitely a drink for grown-ups since it’s made with Kahlua and tequila.
WIth a few pantry staples and a well-stocked bar you probably have everything you need to make this Mexicocoa.
- Hot Chocolate Packets
- Hot Water
- Coffee Liqueur, such as Kahlua
- Silver Tequila
- Whipped Cream
- Cinnamon Sticks
The first time I added something special to hot chocolate it was peppermint schnapps. While it doesn’t get very cold for very long in Florida, I try to enjoy it once or twice a season.
But now that Mexicocoa is on my radar, I’ll be offering this to dinner guests. In fact, it’s a great idea to put hot chocolate on a beverage bar, along with a pot of coffee, with a few different liqueurs.
Post some recipes on chalkboards or in frames so your guests can make their own concoctions.
The use of both Kahlua and tequila gives this drink a ton of flavor. The bit of cinnamon adds a warmth that’s perfect on a chilly day.
This is called Mexicocoa because the two liquors, Kahlua and tequila, are from Mexico. The name seemed fitting.
What is an after dinner drink?
It’s just that, a cocktail or spiked hot beverage served after the main meal, with or without dessert.
Originally an after dinner drink was more of a digestive, to aid in digesting the meal but over the last few years there has been an evolution. Digestives include Sambuca, a licorice liqueur, Drambuie and grappa are some, just to name a few.
An evolution to include coffee and hot chocolate drinks with alcohol. Mexicocoa starts with hot chocolate and you can choose to use a homemade version like my Ultimate Hot Chocolate or store bought packets.
More After Dinner Drinks to Enjoy
These are adults-only drinks because they all have alcohol. Sometimes I serve these alongside dessert and sometimes I serve them as dessert. The spiked peanut butter hot chocolate could be dessert in itself.
- 2 packets hot chocolate, such as Swiss Miss
- 8 ounces hot water
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon silver tequila
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
- In a mug place 2 packets of hot chocolate. Add hot water. Gently stir to mix well.
- Add Kahlua, tequila, and cinnamon and stir. Garnish with whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a cinnamon stick.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Creamy Cocoa Recipes
- Bailey’s Hot Chocolate from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Cordial Hot Chocolate from The Freshman Cook
- Frozen Hot Chocolate from Devour Dinner
- Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix from Fresh April Flours
- Hot Brewed Cacao from Palatable Pastime
- Mexicocoa from Family Around the Table
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate from Making Miracles
- Red Velvet Hot Cocoa Bombs from Magical Ingredients
- Single Serve Hazelnut Hot Cocoa from Our Good Life
- Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate from Blogghetti
- Spiked Eggnog White Hot Chocolate from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spiked Hot Chocolate from Art of Natural Living