A Tequila Sunrise is a classic tequila cocktail that creates a beautiful gradient of colors from deep red to bright orange, reminiscent of a sunrise. The tangy citrus flavor combined with the warmth of tequila makes it a delightful and refreshing choice for any cocktail enthusiast.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, an Instacart Tastemaker, as well as a member of other various affiliate programs, I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
So, I know you’re totally singing The Eagles song Tequila Sunrise. I’m singing it as I’m writing this too. Not such a bad song to have stuck in your head, especially if you have the cocktail on the table next to you.
I think a Tequila Sunrise is one of my favorite drinks, probably because it’s so pretty. It looks so tropical and reminds me of one of my favorite trips to the Caribbean.
Just a few ingredients
Why you’ll love this cocktail
- With just three ingredients, it’s easy to make.
- Enjoy a tequila sunrise poolside. They are great for sipping on a hot day.
- Since it’s made with orange juice, it’s refreshing.
- Fun fact: The drink got its name from the way the ingredients are layered in the glass resembling a sunrise.
Pro Tip: I keep my tequila in the freezer, the orange juice is already in the fridge so I shake them up with ice pour into the glass with ice, add the grenadine, and enjoy. The drink is extra cold! The trick to getting the color separation is to slowly pour in the grenadine and let it settle before serving.
Cocktails for a crowd
Just have the orange juice and tequila mixed in a pitcher, keep it chilled, then just add ice and pour into the glasses then add the grenadine to each glass. Serve in tall glasses to get the full color effect.
What Can I serve with a Tequila Sunrise?
Since it’s a tequila based cocktail, it pairs nicely with Mexican or Tex-Mex recipes such as cheesy sausage stuffed jalapeños or sheet-pan nachos. Both would be perfect for a game day party where you’re making tequila sunrises for your crowd.
More Tequila Cocktails
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
(It’s Another) Tequila Sunrise
- 3 ounces silver tequila
- 2 cups orange juice
- Dash of grenadine for each glass
- Orange slices for garnish
- Ice cubes
- Fill 2 tall cocktail glasses with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker combine ice tequila and orange juice. Shake a few times and strain into cocktail glasses. Carefully add a dash of grenadine to each glass. About ½ teaspoon. Do not mix. Garnish and serve.