This Ultimate Hot Chocolate has become a Christmas morning tradition in our house. It’s rich and creamy and made with two kinds of chocolate. Also contributing to the richness is the combination of whole milk and heavy cream.
Why two milks? For richness, of course. You could substitute 2% milk but anything else and it won’t be as rich. Why milk chocolate chips? It’s my family’s preference. I have used semi-sweet and they work well too. If you only have semi-sweet, use them, it will still be delicious.
But my ultimate hot chocolate isn’t just for Christmas. It’s perfect anytime you need to warm up on a cold day. If you have leftover, you can certainly store it covered, in the fridge and warm it up again. While you can warm it in the microwave, I always prefer to do so on the stovetop. I have to say, though, we’ve never had any leftover.
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine whole milk, whipping cream, sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk constantly until cocoa powder is combined and sugar is melted. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Heat thoroughly, then reduce heat to low to keep warm. Don't ever let the mixture come to a boil. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Serve in warmed mugs with whipped cream, marshmallows and other hot chocolate toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.