This Hawaiian Martini has many of my favorite things. Pineapple juice, orange juice and vodka. It’s easy to make, not overly sweet and perfect for relaxing after work on a Friday afternoon.
Having been in the wine and spirit business with my husband for the last 20+ years, I never balk at the opportunity to join in an event when cocktails are involved.
What’s in a Hawaiian Martini?
- Pineapple Juice
- Orange Juice
- Orange strip for garnish
My husband thinks I’m pretty good at making them too. He’s enjoyed all of the ones I’ve made to date.
The inspiration for this Hawaiian martini came from my kid’s love of juices. They are often mixing different types of juices to make fun, delicious combinations.
We always have pineapple and orange juices, as well as a variety of spirits on hand, so this was easy.
You may or may not know that martinis can be made with either vodka or gin. I find that people like one or the other.
We are vodka martini fans. I would not suggest making this with gin.
Gin is full of botanicals with juniper being a typical flavor. Some gin brands do have citrus but the stronger notes are almost always juniper, cardamom, anise, and coriander.
In my opinion, those flavors overpower the pineapple and orange. Grapefruit is a more suitable juice because of its tartness and many gin drinks are made with tonic or soda.
Sweeter juices are more conducive to the neutral grain of vodka. You will find gin drinks made with various juices and flavor combinations are personal preferences.
This Hawaiian martini is simply garnished with an orange strip. I use a citrus zester with a channel knife. Using this tool you can also make strips for candied citrus. This is a tool I’ve had for years and I really love it. It’s super easy to use.
A note on making the drink. When you add the grenadine, don’t freehand it because if you add too much you will overpower the drink and it won’t taste great. Take the time to measure it, you’ll be glad you did.
More Martini Recipes
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Martini – Certain to become a new fall favorite.
- Blueberry Lemon Martini – Made with a blueberry reduction.
- The Dirty Martini -A classic that’s so easy to make.
- Salted Caramel Martini – A martini that perfect for the holiday season.
- Watermelon Guava Martini – Summer never tasted so good.
- 2 shots (3 ounces) vodka
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grenadine, divided
- Orange strip for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, vodka, pineapple and orange juices. Shake.
- Strain into 2 martini glasses. Add 1/2 teaspoon grenadine to each glass. DO NOT STIR. Garnish by looping an orange strip on the side of the glass. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.