Peanut butter and chocolate are a favorite combination for many people so adding peanut butter whiskey to hot chocolate seemed like a good idea. Serve this next level Spiked Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate after dinner instead of dessert. It’s full of rich chocolate flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, an Instacart Tastemaker, as well as a member of other various affiliate programs, I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
With just a few ingredients you can be enjoying a decadent treat any time of year, not just a cold winter day. Though it is perfect during the holiday season too.
- Hot Chocolate
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Peanut Butter Whiskey
- Whipped Cream
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups for garnish
How do you make spiked peanut butter hot chocolate?
So, there are a couple of ways you can make this hot chocolate. The first is to make your favorite homemade hot chocolate recipe. My favorite is ultimate hot chocolate. It’s rich, creamy, and delicious. This option would be great for entertaining because it makes a big batch.
The second option is to use hot chocolate mix packets. One packet per serving. It’s a quick and easy way to enjoy this after-dinner drink for you and your significant other. Or make your own homemade hot cocoa mix to keep on hand for a cold winter day or for spiked peanut butter hot chocolate. For best results, use your favorite hot chocolate.
There are a few peanut butter whiskeys on the market. I used Ugly Dog Peanut Butter Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey.
What’s the difference between other brands? Well, Ugly Dog uses REAL Kentucky bourbon whiskey, not a neutral grain spirit like other brands plus they use real sugar, not corn syrup.
Better ingredients make a better product, which makes a better drink.
How can I garnish peanut butter hot chocolate?
There are a number of ways to garnish this easy recipe. My favorite is to cut a V into a regular sized peanut butter cup and put it on the side of the mug. Top it with fluffy whipped cream.
Homemade whipped cream topped with shaved chocolate and the peanut butter cup makes this cozy winter drink extra decadent. The easiest way to make chocolate shavings is to carefully run a chocolate bar along a microplane grater.
What is a neutral grain spirit, or NGS?
Well, it’s highly concentrated alcohol that has been“purified by means of repeated distillation”. They are called neutral because they lack added flavor and can take on any flavor. It’s cheap for makers to buy and add their own flavorings. Neutral grain spirits burn when going down so you definitely want something else added to it.
What’s the difference between bourbon and whiskey?
- Whiskey is distilled from a fermented blend of grains, usually corn, barley, rye, and wheat. A blend that distillers call a mash bill. Depending on what the ratio of grains comprises the mash bill is part of how the resulting liquid is either categorized as whiskey or bourbon.
- For a whiskey to be called a bourbon, it first by law has to have a mash bill with at least 51 percent corn.
- Also, by law, bourbon has to be aged in a charred white oak barrel, and a new one at that.
- Finally, bourbon has to be made in the U.S.A. Much of the bourbon on the market comes from Kentucky.
More alcoholic hot chocolate recipes
While this frozen hot chocolate recipe doesn’t have alcohol, it’s a fun twist for summer.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Spiked Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- 16 ounces hot chocolate divided
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter divided (not natural)
- 2 ounces peanut butter whiskey I used Ugly Dog Peanut Butter Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, divided
- Whipped cream
- Reese’s Cups for garnish
- Divide the hot chocolate between 2 mugs. Add the creamy peanut butter and whisk briskly.
- Add the peanut butter whiskey and stir gently.
- Add whipped cream and garnish the mug with a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.