I’m excited to be sharing recipes using farmer’s market ingredients this week. My first recipe is a blueberry crisp for two.
But first, a confession. We do not have a great farmer’s market nearby but my grocer does have pretty great produce. So I’ve chosen some recipes this week you can make with items you find at a typical farmer’s market.
So, while I’ve made one confession, I should make another.
I’m not a huge fan of blueberries. I like them in things like bread and muffins but don’t really enjoy them otherwise.
My husband loves any kind of fruit crisp and my youngest loves blueberries so I worked up this blueberry crisp for two.
Now, it’s easily adjusted for more, or even less, servings making it a fun individual dessert for a dinner party.
I venture a guess, that because this dish is almost licked clean, that it was a success.
Blueberry season in Florida is actually over. Although we have nice berries in-store now, Florida grows beautiful berries but the season ends in May.
When I first started measuring out ingredients I only used 1 ½ cups of blueberries. I quickly decided that was not enough for the size ramekins I have so I increased them to 2 cups.
The topping was the right amount for two servings. I used a new to me oatmeal product in the topping. It’s Irish oatmeal from Flavahan’s and both of my taste testers said this was the best crisp I’ve ever made.
Again, I think that an empty dish says it all!
#FarmersMarketWeek Monday Recipes
Aunt Mary’s Refrigerator Bread & Butter Pickles by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
BBQ Corn on the Cob with dilled butter by Red Cottage Chronicles
Beef Tacos with Peppers, Onions & Salsa Verde by Books n’ Cooks
Blistered Tomato Dutch Baby by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Blueberry Crisp for Two by Family Around The Table
Blueberry Scones by The Freshman Cook
Cherry Stout Jam by The Redhead Baker
Farmer’s Market Breakfast Casserole by New South Charm
Israeli Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
Marinated Mozzarella and Tomato Appetizers by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Peach and Blueberry Overnight Oats by Simple and Savory
Strawberry Mango Jam by Palatable Pastime
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats (I used Flahavan's Irish Oatmeal)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, unsalted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl toss together the blueberries with the cornstarch and the sugar until well-coated. Put blueberries into two ramekins (I used Aplico #3 which are about 10 ounces each) and set aside on a rimmed, foil-lined baking sheet.
- In another small bowl combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender and use your hands to work it all together, working the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the berries and bake for 30 minutes, or until the berries are bubbly and the topping is golden.