Recently my family was asking for a chocolate dessert. I went poking around my pantry because I didn’t want to make a trip to the store.
Knowing that my Lemon Oreo Bars are a really popular recipe here on the blog, I thought Chocolate Oreo Bars might be a good idea.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, an Instacart Tastemaker, as well as a member of other various affiliate programs, I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
I was right. They are super easy to make and, if you like Oreos, you probably have all the ingredients. All you need is a chocolate cake mix, preferably Devil’s food, the ingredients to make it and Oreos.
Like the lemon version, I put a simple powdered sugar glaze on top.
I made this in a 9×9-inch pan. You could make it in an 8×8-inch pan and it will be thicker. It’s a matter of personal preference.
The middle did sink a bit when it started to cool but it was still delicious. The crumb is more dense than that of a cake.
This is an easy recipe to get the kids involved. They can mix the ingredients and crush the Oreos. After all, who doesn’t love to smash cookies into crumbs?!
I put the cookies in a heavy-duty zipper bag and let my kids pound away. I don’t recommend a food processor for this task because you want big chunks of cookie for the top, not fine crumbs.
More Oreo Desserts
With Oreos being one of the most popular cookies on the market, they are very easy to use in desserts.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Chocolate Oreo Bars
- 1 box Devil’s food cake mix
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed Oreo cookies not double stuff
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 9 pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine cake mix, oil, water and egg. Batter will be thick. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.1 box Devil’s food cake mix, 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup water, 1 egg
- Sprinkle with crushed cookies over the top of the batter, gently pressing into the batter.1 cup crushed Oreo cookies
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Once cool, make the glaze and drizzle over the bars. Cut into squares and serve.1 cup powdered sugar, 1 – 2 tablespoon milk