Recently my family was asking for a chocolate dessert. I went poking around my pantry because I didn’t want to make a trip to the store. Knowing that my Lemon Oreo Bars are a really popular recipe here on the blog, I thought Chocolate Oreo Bars might be a good idea.
I was right. They are super easy to make and, if you like Oreos, you probably have all the ingredients. All you need is a chocolate cake mix, preferably Devil’s food, the ingredients to make it and Oreos. Like the lemon version, I put a simple powdered sugar glaze on top.
I made this in a 9×9-inch pan. You could make it in an 8×8-inch pan and it will be thicker. It’s really a matter of personal preference. The middle did sink a bit when it started to cool but it was still delicious. The crumb is more dense than that of a cake.
This is an easy recipe to get the kids involved. They can mix the ingredients and crush the Oreos. After all, who doesn’t love to smash cookies into crumbs?! I put the cookies in a heavy duty zipper bag and let my kids pound away. I don’t recommend a food processor for this task because you want big chunks of cookie for the top, not fine crumbs.
My blogger friends and I are celebrating chocolate this week. Check out the other recipes below and follow along on our Pinterest board and join our Facebook group.
- 1 box Devil's food cake mix
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed Oreo cookies, not double stuff
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 9 pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine cake mix, oil, water and egg. Batter will be thick. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with crushed cookies over the top of the batter, gently pressing into the batter.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Once cool, make the glaze and drizzle over the bars. Cut into squares and serve.
- Chocolate Fudge Raspberry Bars by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Baked Chocolate Donuts by That Recipe
- Chocolate Oreo Bars by Family Around the Table
- Chocolate Walnut Caramels by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Espresso Mocha Macaron with Salted Dark Chocolate Filling by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Low-Sugar Double Chocolate Muffins by Blogghetti
- Mini Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (Small Batch) by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- S’mores Pie by Art of Natural Living
- Summer Hot Chocolate by Our Good Life