While on a recent grocery shopping trip my oldest son somehow talked me into buying lemon Oreos. They sat in our pantry for a couple of weeks, untouched. When I asked my son about the lemon Oreo cookies and why he hadn’t tried them yet, he gave me the teenage eye roll and shoulder shrug.
That was really all I needed to know. It was code for “when I get to them”. So I got to them first and made this delicious lemon Oreo bar.
I always have a variety of cakes mixes in my pantry and I love to use them to get a treat made quickly. If you’ve perused my blog much you know I love using cake mixes to make cookies.
This recipe is really not very different. This is a thick batter and it’s a bit challenging to spread in the pan.
When crushing the Oreos leave some pieces large. You’re not trying to make crumbs. When sprinkling the cookie pieces, gently press them into the batter.
If you want an extra dose of lemon, add a bit of lemon extract or lemon juice to the powdered sugar icing. I used only vanilla but I know the extra zing would be delicious. Lemon lovers will know what I mean.
If you enjoy these Lemon Oreo Bars be sure to check out Chocolate Oreo Bars too.If you like lemon you'll fall in love with these lemon Oreo bars. An easy treat that comes together quickly by starting with a cake mix.
- 1 box white cake mix
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed lemon Oreo cookies
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 9 pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine cake mix, oil, water and egg. Batter will be thick. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with crushed cookies over the top of the batter, gently pressing into the batter.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Once cool, make the glaze and drizzle over the bars. Cut into squares and serve.