Lemon Oreo Bars are a lemony treat you’ll make all summer long. A delicious burst of lemon flavor in every delicious bite.
While on a recent grocery shopping trip my oldest son somehow talked me into buying lemon Oreos.
They sat in our pantry for a couple of weeks.
When I asked him about the lemon Oreo cookies and why he hadn’t tried them yet, he gave me the teenage eye roll and shoulder shrug.
That was really all I needed to know. It was code for “when I get to them”. So I got to them first and made this delicious lemon Oreo bar.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
When you need an easy dessert for summer potluck parties, these lemon Oreo bars fit the bill.
- This lemon recipe starts with a cake mix.
- Lemon recipes are always popular.
- Travels well making it ideal for a potluck party.
- Great lemon flavor.
- Easy enough for kids to help make.
- Budget friendly.
Ingredients for Lemon Oreo Bars
Such an easy recipe that starts with a cake mix.
- White Cake Mix
- Lemon Oreo Cookies
- Vegetable Oil
- Powdered Sugar
- Water or Lemon Juice
I always have a variety of cake mixes in my pantry and I love to use them to get a treat made quickly.
If you’ve perused my blog much you know I love using cake mixes to make cookies too.
Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions
This is a thick batter and it’s a bit challenging to spread in the pan. Don’t be afraid to use your hands to press it into the pan.
When crushing the lemon Oreos leave some pieces large. You’re not trying to make crumbs. When sprinkling the cookie pieces, gently press them into the batter.
While I’ve not tried using a lemon cake mix, I bet it would be an amazing substitution. Let me know if you try it!
If you want an extra dose of lemon, add a bit of lemon extract or lemon juice to the powdered sugar icing.
I used only vanilla but I know the extra zing would be delicious. Lemon lovers will know what I mean.
If you enjoy these Lemon Oreo Bars be sure to check out Chocolate Oreo Bars too. Both are very kid-friendly recipes.If you like lemon you'll fall in love with these lemon Oreo bars. An easy treat that comes together quickly by starting with a cake mix.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed lemon Oreo cookies
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 9 pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine cake mix, oil, water and egg. Batter will be thick. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with crushed cookies over the top of the batter, gently pressing into the batter.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Once cool, make the glaze and drizzle over the bars. Cut into squares and serve.