Do your kids come home from school “starving”? Sometimes you just need a little something sweet.
That can hold true when your kids come home from school. Especially after a long day of learning. A single serving mug cake will satisfy that craving.
Specifically an Oreo mug cake. Even better, it’s something older kids can make themselves and younger kids can help mix up.
College students will love making this mug cake, too, because it’s so easy.
We love mug cakes in my house. They are not difficult to make, everyone can have a favorite and the ingredients are probably already in your pantry.
Many of the same ingredients in my chocolate orange marbled mug cake are in this Oreo mug cake.
Both use self-rising flour, which is flour that includes a leavening agent eliminating the need for baking soda or baking powder. Both also use sugar and eggs. If you are a baker you surely have chocolate chips and butter. Now you are set.
What makes this mug cake so special ore the Oreo cookies tucked into the batter before microwaving it. The Oreo gets soft and a bit melty.
Ok, that might not be a word but it describes what happens to the cookie. When making a mug cake you need to use a microwave-safe mug.
Small mugs will not work. If you are unsure, use a larger mug. When the mug cake is done, it may look a bit wet. That’s OK, it should.
Once it sits for a few minutes that sheen will go away and the mug cake is ready to enjoy.
My blogger friends and I are sharing back to school ideas from breakfast to lunch to dinner to snacks and after school treats. Check out what they are sharing below. Many of the recipes are perfect for busy school days.
- Baked Banana Oatmeal Cups by The Tip Garden
- Brookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Oreo Mug Cake by Family Around the Table
- Peanut Butter Granola Bars by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Pipérade by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Tarts for School Lunches by Our Good Life
- Yogurt Pancakes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 2 - 3 Oreos, divided
- In a large coffee mug add the butter and chocolate chips. Microwave 20 - 30 seconds until the chocolate has melted.
- Stir the melted chocolate and butter to combine. Add the sugar and stir again.
- Beat in the egg until fully combined.
- Add in the flour and mix thoroughly until batter is smooth and well combined in the mug.
- Carefully drop 2 Oreo cookies into the mug, one at a time on top of each other, making sure they are fully covered by the cake batter.
- Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds at 700W. The cake will rise then fall a little and should be a bit wet to the touch.
- Leave the mug cake to cool for 3 minutes, then top with an additional cookie, if desired. Enjoy
Adjust time according to your microwave. I used a 700W microwave. One with higher wattage may take less time.