Turn to chicken and broccoli with chive sauce for an easy weeknight meal. No chives? Easily substitute dill.
It wasn’t long ago that I was looking for a new chicken recipe to try. I not only get in a rut cooking the same dishes, but my family is often eager to try new things. This chicken and broccoli with chive sauce was perfect timing. I had broccoli I needed to use up.
You could also make this dish with dill. I didn’t have any dill but I do have chives in my garden. There’s no dill in my garden because I couldn’t find any, anywhere, to plant. Starting herbs from seed has never worked well for me. If you have tips, please leave me a comment!
Next time I make this dish I will pound, or flatten, the chicken so it’s even. I wish I had done that but was kind of in a hurry so I did not. I’ve added those directions to the recipe here because that little bit of time would have saved about 15 minutes.
Cooking the broccoli in broth makes it so much more flavorful. One of the best things about this dish is everything is made in one pan. You know what that means right? Easy peasy clean up.
More Favorite Chicken Recipes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup milk
- Pound chicken breasts so they are even thickness. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; brown chicken on both sides. Remove from pan to a plate and keep warm.
- Add broccoli and broth to same skillet; bring to a boil. Stir and deglaze the pan. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until broccoli is just tender, 3-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove broccoli from pan, reserving broth. Keep broccoli warm.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, chives and milk until smooth. Gently stir into broth in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened, 3 -5 minutes. Add chicken and cook, covered, over medium heat until juices run clear and chicken is thoroughly cooked, approximately 10-15 minutes. Serve with broccoli.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 680mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 44g
Nutrition information automatically calculated. Recipe author has not checked the calculations.