Whether you make this Bacon and Swiss Grilled Chicken Sandwich for lunch or dinner, you’ll enjoy big flavor in every bite.
A well seasoned chicken bread, cooked to moist perfection topped with crisp bacon, Swiss cheese, a tangy mustard mayo sauce, and lettuce and tomato, if desired.
Whether you grill the chicken inside on a grill pan or outside on the grill, this is a sandwich that comes together quickly. I did these inside because the weather was not cooperating to grill them on our gas grill.
When I made this sandwich for my family they said it was as good as a sandwich you’d get in a restaurant. It’s reminscient of a grilled chicken club sandwhich recipe.
Tips and Tricks
- If you’re grillng the chicken inside, cook the bacon in a separate skillet at the same time. That way both sandwich elements are ready at the same time.
- Don’t skip pounding the chicken. It will cook more quickly and evenly when it’s been flattened.
- If you’re concerned about the bacon slipping off the sandwich, put the cheese on top.
I’ve made theses sandwiches for both lunch and dinner. When I serve them for dinner I like to serve a heartier side or two. For lunch I often just serve chips.
What Can I Serve with Grilled Chicken Sandwiches?
There are many options to serve with these sandwiches. It’s an easy meal on a busy night or a night when your tired. Serve what your family enjoys:
- Linguine Salad
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries from House of Nash Eats
- Fried Onion Strings
- Caesar Salad from Smarty Pants Kitchen
- Homemade Parmesan Potato Chips From Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Get More Great Grilling Recipes:
- Bacon and Swiss Grilled Chicken Sandwich from Family Around the Table
- Grilled Chicken White Pizza from That Recipe
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Paneer from Magical Ingredients
- Grilled Garlic Parmesan Potato Packets from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Pork Loin from The Freshman Cook
- No Marinade Shish Kabobs from Art of Natural Living
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
- 8 bacon strips
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices, optional
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and honey. Set aside.
- In a second small bowl combine the seasoning ingredients and set aside.
- Pound chicken with a meat mallet to ½-in. thickness. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning mix, to taste, no need to use it all.
- Using an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan, grill chicken, over medium heat until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese during the last 1 minute of cooking. Cover, if possible to help melt the cheese.
- If desired, grill buns over medium heat, cut side down, until toasted, 30-60 seconds.
- To serve: Spread mayo/ Dijon sauce over one or both sides of the bread. Place cheese-topped chicken breast and 2 slices of bacon on the bottom bun. Place lettuce and tomato, if using, and top with top bun. Serve.