Whether you make this Bacon and Swiss Grilled Chicken Sandwich for lunch or dinner, you’ll enjoy big flavor in every bite.
A well seasoned chicken breast, cooked to moist perfection topped with crisp bacon, Swiss cheese, a tangy mustard mayo sauce, and lettuce and tomato, if desired.
Table of Contents
- Chicken Breast
- Swiss Cheese
- Lettuce (optional)
- Tomato (optional)
- Caramelized Onions (optional)
Whether you grill the chicken inside on a grill pan or outside on the grill, this is a sandwich that comes together quickly. I did these inside because the weather was not cooperating to grill them on our gas grill.
When I made this sandwich for my family they said it was as good as a sandwich you’d get in a restaurant. It’s reminscient of a grilled chicken club sandwhich recipe.
That’s quite the compliment! Honestly, I think it was the mustard mayonnaise sauce that put these sandwiches over the top.
If you don’t like either mustard or mayo, just use what you like. A premade honey mustard dipping sauce would also be delicious.
This is a meal that is very budget friendly. Many grocery stores have sales on chicken as well as cheese and bacon. I will usually buy my sandwich rolls in the deli where I can purchase just what I need rather than wasting any leftover.
Tips and Tricks for Succesful Sandwiches
- If you’re grillng the chicken inside, cook the bacon in a separate skillet at the same time. That way both sandwich elements are ready at the same time.
- Don’t skip pounding the chicken. It will cook more quickly and evenly when it’s been flattened. Trust me on this!
- If you’re concerned about the bacon slipping off the sandwich, put the cheese on top.
- Build the sandwich in the skillet. Once the chicken is done, place the cooked bacon on top, then the Swiss cheese. Cover the skillet so the heat and steam will melt the cheese.
- I use hoagie rolls because the chicken breast fits better.
- Dress the sandwich how you like. I put the mayo mustard sauce on both sides of the hoagie roll. Lettuce and tomato are great additions, however caramelized onions would be delicious too.
- If you do include the caramelized onions, start those before the bacon and chicken. They will take longer to cook.
- If you’re not a fan of Swiss cheese, use another melty cheese like Provolone or Mozzarella. A Cheddar would also be yummy
I’ve made theses sandwiches for both lunch and dinner. When I serve them for dinner I like to serve a heartier side or two. For lunch I often just serve chips.
What Can I Serve with Grilled Chicken Sandwiches?
There are many options to serve with these sandwiches. It’s an easy meal on a busy night or a night when you’re tired. Serve what your family enjoys but here are some ideas that are budget conscious.
- Linguine Salad
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries from House of Nash Eats
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Fried Onion Strings
- Caesar Salad from Smarty Pants Kitchen
- Homemade Parmesan Potato Chips From Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Bacon and Swiss Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Bacon and Swiss Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 4 ounces each
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls split
- 8 bacon strips
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices optional
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and honey. Set aside.
- In a second small bowl combine the seasoning ingredients and set aside.
- Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning mix, to taste, no need to use it all.
- Using an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan, grill chicken, over medium heat until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese during the last 1 minute of cooking. Cover, if possible to help melt the cheese.
- If desired, grill buns over medium heat, cut side down, until toasted, 30-60 seconds.
- To serve: Spread mayo/ Dijon sauce over one or both sides of the bread. Place cheese-topped chicken breast and 2 slices of bacon on the bottom bun. Place lettuce and tomato, if using, and top with top bun. Serve.