There is something so festive about these Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats. Whether you’re hosting an Independence Day or Memorial Day party or you have a soldier coming home on leave, these treats are easy to make in a short amount of time.
In about an hour and a half, you can have a delicious no-bake dessert for a summer party. It’s kid-friendly and deliciously sweet with the addition of the white chocolate drizzle and fun sprinkles.
Are Rice Krispie Treats Easy to Make?
These cereal treats are one of the easiest you’ll ever make. With only a few ingredients, Rice Krispies cereal, marshmallows, vanilla, and butter, you’re on your way to making them. You easily dress them up with a drizzle of good white chocolate and festive patriotic sprinkles.
Spread the mixture into a square pan for thicker treats or a 9 x 13-inch baking dish for a thinner version.
Tips for Making Krispie Treats
I’ve made my share of these goodies for parties, school bake sales, and hostess gifts. They are always a hit. I’ve learned a few things along the way.
- Be patient when melting the marshmallows. If the heat is too high, the mixture will burn.
- When combining the cereal and marshmallow mixture, make sure your bowl is big enough. Otherwise, you will wind up with cereal all over your counter and floor.
- Spray your pan with non-stick spray. The treats will come out of the pan better.
- When pressing the cereal mixture into the pan, butter your hands so it does not stick to them.
- Use fresh white chocolate. If the bag has been around a while it, for some reason, doesn’t melt well.
- Drizzle the chocolate, then sprinkle the sprinkles quickly so they stick to the chocolate.
- Start with fresh cereal and marshmallows. Stale marshmallows won’t melt well.
Can I Freeze Rice Krispie Treats?
Yes, you can, but I would do so before adding the chocolate drizzle and sprinkles. Allow them to cool completely, cut into squares and then wrap individually in wax paper. Store in a Ziploc bag for up to 3 months. Thaw completely on the counter then decorate.
When decorating after freezing, you could just dip part of the square in the chocolate and decorate with sprinkles. This method would be less messy.
How long can I store Rice Krispie Treats?
If you think your family won’t devour them immediately, they will stay on the counter properly stored for 5 or 6 days. What is properly stored? In a plastic container layer the decorated squares between waxed paper or parchment. That way they won’t stick and will remain pretty.
I made these for a class treat for my son and when I sent them to school I layered them with the waxed paper method. All the kids loved them and the teacher was happy they weren’t messy.
Patriotic Dessert Ideas:
- All American Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog with Patriotic Slaw by Our Good Life
- Celebration Nachos by Palatable Pastime
- Patriotic Berry Trifle by Making Miracles
- Patriotic Charcuterie by Hostess at Heart
- Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats by Family Around the Table
- Red, White, and Blue Blueberry Shortcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red, White, and Blue Bundt Cake by House of Nash Eats
- Red, White, and Blue Marbled Layer Cake by Lemon Blossoms
- Red, White, and Blue Celebration Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Red, White & Blue Cheesecake Salad by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Red, White, and Blue Strawberry Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red, White, & Blue Summer Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Summer Berry Filled Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter
- 16 oz bag mini marshmallows, divided
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 6 ounces white chocolate chips
- Red, white and blue sprinkles, star sprinkles, nonpareils, or jimmies
- Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place Rice Krispies and 1 ½ cups of marshmallows in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in the remaining marshmallows. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until all the marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and the remaining marshmallows. Stir gently to coat
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Press gently with your fingertips just until completely spread out and even.
- Melt white chocolate chips according to package directions. Drizzle over Rice Krispie treats and immediately sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Allow the treats to set, about 1 hour. Cut into 16 bars and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.