There is something so festive about these Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats. Whether you’re hosting an Independence Day or Memorial Day party or you have a soldier coming home on leave, these treats are easy to make in a short amount of time.
In about twenty minutes, you can have a delicious no-bake dessert for a summer party. It’s kid-friendly and deliciously sweet with the addition of the white chocolate drizzle and fun sprinkles.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, an Instacart Tastemaker, as well as a member of other various affiliate programs, I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
Are Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats Easy to Make?
These cereal treats are one of the easiest you’ll ever make. With only a few ingredients, Rice Krispies cereal, marshmallows, vanilla, and butter, you’re on your way to making them. You easily dress them up with a drizzle of good white chocolate and festive patriotic sprinkles.
Tips for Making Rice Krispie Treats
I’ve made my share of these goodies for parties, school bake sales, and hostess gifts. They are always a hit. I’ve learned a few things along the way.
- Be patient when melting the marshmallows. If the heat is too high, the mixture will burn.
- Use only salted butter. Salt is a preservative and allows you to keep these patriotic rice krispie treats on the counter rather than refrigerate them.
- When combining the cereal and marshmallow mixture, make sure your bowl is big enough. Otherwise, you will wind up with cereal all over your counter and floor.
- Spray your pan with non-stick spray. The treats will come out of the pan better.
- When pressing the cereal mixture into the pan, butter your hands so it does not stick to them.
- Use fresh white chocolate. If the bag has been around a while it, for some reason, doesn’t melt well.
- Drizzle the chocolate, then sprinkle the patriotic sprinkles quickly so they stick to the chocolate.
- Start with fresh cereal and marshmallows. Stale marshmallows won’t melt well.
Should you refrigerate rice krispie treats?
It is not necessary to refrigerate Krispie treats. If you do choose to refrigerate them, allow them to come to room temperature before you serve them.
How long should rice krispie treats cool before cutting?
I know, you’re going to want to dive right in but you should allow them to cool for about 20 minutes before serving. This allows them to set as well.
Can I freeze Rice Krispie treats?
Yes, you can, but I would do so before adding the chocolate drizzle and sprinkles. Allow them to cool completely, cut them into squares and then wrap them individually in wax paper. Store in a Ziploc bag for up to 3 months. Thaw completely on the counter then decorate.
When decorating after freezing, you could just dip part of the square in the chocolate and decorate with sprinkles. This method would be less messy.
How long can I store Rice Krispie Treats?
If you think your family won’t devour these patriotic rice krispie treats immediately, they will stay on the counter properly stored for 5 or 6 days. What is properly stored? In a plastic container layer the decorated squares between waxed paper or parchment. That way they won’t stick and will remain pretty. Make sure you use an airtight container.
I made these white chocolate covered rice krispie treats for a class treat for my son When I sent them to school I layered them with the waxed paper method. All the kids loved them and the teacher was happy they weren’t messy.
More Patriotic Dessert Ideas:
If you want a beautiful cake that’s sure to impress try Red, White, and Blue Bundt Cake.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter
- 16 oz bag mini marshmallows divided
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 6 ounces white chocolate chips
- Red white and blue sprinkles, star sprinkles, nonpareils, or jimmies
- Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place Rice Krispies and 1 1/2 cups of marshmallows in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in the remaining marshmallows. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until all the marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and the remaining marshmallows. Stir gently to coat
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Press gently with your fingertips just until completely spread out and even.
- Melt white chocolate chips according to package directions. Drizzle over Rice Krispie treats and immediately sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Allow the treats to set, about 1 hour. Cut into 16 bars and serve.