Take breakfast from boring to fun with Funfetti Pancakes. Make them on a Sunday morning or for a special occasion such as a birthday.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, an Instacart Tastemaker, as well as a member of other various affiliate programs, I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
What ingredients do I need for Funfetti Pancakes?
An at a glance list of what you need for this funfetti pancakes recipe:
- Flour – the recipe uses all-purpose
- Baking powder – NOT soda
- Sugar – granulated sugar is used here
- Salt – I use sea salt but table salt is fine
- Eggs – use large
- Milk – either 2% or whole milk is acceptable
- Half and Half – substitute whipping cream if you don’t have half and half
- Vanilla – Use pure vanilla extract
- Butter – needs to be melted
- Sprinkles – I used rainbow sprinkles but use what you have on hand
How to make funfetti pancakes
I made these as funfetti birthday pancakes for my son’s birthday and they were a huge hit. His big smile was my reward for all the dirty dishes.
They are no more difficult to make than regular pancakes. When making any pancakes these are great tips to keep in mind.
- Have your sprinkles or other add-ins ready before beginning.
- It is important to let the batter rest while the griddle is heating up.
- Use a light coat of butter to grease the griddle. You can use a neutral oil but butter has more flavor. Olive oil is not recommended.
- Use a cookie scoop to put the batter on the griddle. Trust me on this there’s less mess than if you use a measuring cup.
Quick tips for the best pancakes
Use Fresh Ingredients | Don’t Over Stir the Batter | Cook on a Hot Surface | Know When to Flip | Serve Warm |
When is the right time to flip pancakes?
Yes, there is a correct time to flip pancakes. The batter hits a hot griddle and puffs up. Bubbles will begin to form in the center and around the edges of the pancake.
When you flip, the bubbles should be many and broken, and the edge of the pancake should look like it’s starting to cook, with an almost matte appearance. The pancake should be about two-thirds done when you flip.
Ideally, you should flip only once. Once you do flip, the second side will cook quickly.
How do you serve pancakes?
I like to butter each pancake and serve them in a stack with maple syrup. Some prefer them to be fanned out on the plate. Either way, we like to top them with whipped cream and they are delicious.
These funfetti pancakes are the perfect way to start off a birthday celebration breakfast. They became a new tradition in my house a few years ago.
More Funfetti Recipes
Sprinkles always bring smiles and these other funfetti recipes do too.
- Funfetti Ice Cream Sandwiches – A fun summer treat on a hot day.
- Easy Cake Mix Bars – Really funfetti bars but check out just how easy!
- Christmas Funfetti Shortbread Bites – An addictive cookie made with nonpareils rather than jimmies.
- Easy Christmas Cookie Bars – Funfetti bars with something extra yummy!
More Tasty Pancake Recipes
There are so many ways to make pancakes!
- Apple Cider Pancakes – A nice fall breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
- Classic Buttermilk Pancakes – Delicious on their own or with a myriad of add-ins.
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes – Use fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Andes Chocolate Mint Pancakes – A classic combination in a delicious pancake.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons melted butter slightly cooled (plus more butter for greasing griddle)
- ⅔ cup rainbow sprinkles jimmies
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, and salt. Mix briefly until blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla extract, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. For fluffy pancakes, briefly mix until blended taking care not to over mix the batter. The pancake batter will be thick with some small lumps, which is perfectly fine.
- With a silicone spatula, slowly, gently, carefully fold the rainbow sprinkles into the pancake batter until just incorporated. Do not stir as this may cause the colorful sprinkles to bleed into the batter. Allow batter to rest while the griddle heats up.
- Generously butter a pancake griddle. Place it on your stovetop over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and hot, ladle the pancake batter onto your griddle using a 1/4 measuring cup. Allow the pancakes to cook undisturbed for approximately one minute.,
- When the sides of the pancakes begin to look cooked AND you see small bubbles rising to the surface, quickly flip the pancakes over. Allow the pancakes to continue cooking until done.
We share recipes from #SpringSweetsWeek on Pinterest! Make sure you follow the board to see all the delicious recipes shared this week.