The delicious topping on my Apple Banana Streusel Bread takes this sweet treat over the top! Perfect for a snack or with coffee for breakfast.
My Mom was a great cook who left a large collection of recipes and I peruse them often. This apple banana streusel bread came from my Mom’s stash but it started out as apple streusel muffins.
I had one lone banana I needed to use, not enough for my regular banana bread recipe, so I thought I’d toss it in this recipe and make it into a loaf.
I’ve never shredded an apple for a recipe before. The Lady Alice apples from Ranier Fruit were nice and juicy and shredded up easily. I just used my cheese shredder on the large holes.
I’m convinced the bread was moist due to the juicy apple. They were delicious and I was sad when they were all gone. My husband and boys were sad when they were gone too.
The streusel topping adds a sweet crunch to the bread. You could enjoy this with your morning coffee or tea or as a dessert.The delicious topping on my apple banana streusel bread takes this sweet treat over the top! Perfect for a snack or with coffee for breakfast. #snacks
It would also make a great gift for neighbors during the holidays. I’ve made this bread a second time already because the first loaf didn’t last long in my house. I’m thinking next time I may make it into muffins.
Muffins would definitely be a great grab and go breakfast or snack.
Apple Banana Streusel Bread
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 cup peeled and shredded Lady Alice apples
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare streusel. Combine brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add cubed cold butter and cut in until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in banana and apple.
- In a small bowl mix milk, oil,and egg until well blended. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Put batter in prepared pan and top with streusel mixture. Gently press topping into batter without crushing it.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven to cooling rack. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and remove to cooling rack to cool completely.