Kids will want to make these funfetti ice cream sandwiches all summer long. A delicious sugar cookie filled with sprinkles and paired with vanilla ice cream and more sprinkles are sure to be a hit.
Who loves sprinkles? If you love to bake or have kids, chances are you love sprinkles. You should really see my collection, shapes, colors, solids, mixes, you name it, I probably have it.
As I’ve said in some of my cocktail posts, the best ingredients make the best drinks. The same goes for baking. Adams Extracts are a favorite. I love using their vanilla when I bake. Why do I love Adams vanilla extract? Because it’s a quality product that produces consistent results every time.
Did you also know that not all sprinkles are created equal? Some sprinkles are not made for baking, only decoration.
Sprinkles from Sweets and Treats are made for baking and decorating. They won’t bleed when they are baked or get moist, like when used to garnish the side of these ice cream sandwiches.
The funfetti cookie recipe makes 15 cookies, enough for 7 ice cream sandwiches. In my house, we only got 4 made because some people, I won’t say who, gobbled up the cookies before we could get more made. That goes to show the cookie can certainly stand alone.
These cookies spread, so don’t crowd them on the baking sheet. I used a #24 scoop, you can see one below in the recipe card, and only put five cookies on the sheet. I should correct that, in the event, that my sons read this. HE used a #24 scoop.
See, he made the cookies with the help of his younger brother. To be honest, they are a big help when it comes to the kitchen. They also did the dishes too!
Be sure to allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. If you take them off to the cooling rack too soon, they will bend and break, as my helper son found out. We used the broken one as our test cookie.
Work quickly to add the sprinkles around the edge, then get the funfetti ice cream sandwiches into the freezer to set. While we used vanilla ice cream, you could use other flavors such as my fresh strawberry ice cream.
Funfetti Ice Cream Sanwiches
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar I used Dixie Crystals
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract I used Adams Extracts
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles I used Sweets & Treats
- Additional Sweets and Treats rainbow sprinkles for rolling
For the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with a silicone baking mat.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix again for 1-2 minutes until the batter lightens in color. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- By hand, gently stir in the sprinkles.
- Scoop the cookie dough into rounded ball, I use my #24 cookie scoop, and place on the prepared baking sheets about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until slightly crackly on top. Allow to cool on baking sheet 3 – 5 minutes to set.
- Removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once completely cool, assemble ice cream sandwiches.
!Assemble ice cream sandwiches:
- Place rainbow sprinkles on a plate.
- Using a #24 cookie scoop, scoop 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream on the underside of one cookie. Gently press a second cookie on top to flatten ice cream. Immediately roll edges in sprinkles. You can also sprinkle the jimmies around the edge.
- Wrap each funfetti ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap and return to freezer for 1 hour to set.