It’s football season and for many people that means tailgating. Easy Buffalo Chicken Sliders on Hawaiian Rolls are great game-day food. Make just as many or few as you need for your guests.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, an Instacart Tastemaker, as well as a member of other various affiliate programs, I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
My family loves Buffalo chicken wings and Buffalo chicken dip so this Buffalo chicken sliders on Hawaiian rolls naturally evolved. You can’t have Buffalo chicken without a blue cheese dressing.
What’s great about this recipe is you can make the blue cheese a day or two in advance. Same goes for cooking the chicken. Just shred it and put it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the sliders.
The ideal temperature for cooked poultry is about 165 degrees F. I took boneless skinless chicken breasts out of the oven at 163 degrees F because I knew they would continue to cook a bit as they rested.
Favorite Features of the ThermoPop
- Rotating display – push a button to change the orientation of the numbers. No need to change how you test the temperature.
- Left and right-handed use – my lefty son loves it.
- Get a temperature fast. Readings in less than 5 seconds.
- There’s a color for everyone! Available in 9 colors.
- Use in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
- Replaceable battery – so you can use it for years and years to come.
- Want one of these great thermometers for yourself? Check out the thermometers in an array of colors. They also make great gifts or stocking stuffers.
My recipe says to use your favorite Buffalo wing sauce. There are many on the market. If you’ve never bought wing sauce before you should find a few varieties near the barbecue sauces in your favorite supermarket.
You may or may not use all of the chicken for these Buffalo chicken sliders. That’s up to you and how full you want the sliders. I piled it all on but you could save some for sandwiches another day.
Brushing butter over the top before baking makes the buns a bit crispy and adds more flavor. Especially with the addition of garlic powder to the butter. Don’t skip covering them for a portion of the baking. They will be too crispy if you bake the entire time uncovered.
If you’re pressed for time, you can certainly take a shortcut and use bottled blue cheese dressing but, trust me, it’s so easy to make. Plus so much better than any bottle.
Another bonus is your friends will be so impressed you made it! It can be made a couple of days in advance of your party.
Either serve a big bowl of the homemade blue cheese dressing with a spoon so guests can put some on their plates or give each guest their own small container for dipping.
If you love buffalo chicken recipes as much as we do, try this buffalo chicken burrito bowl.
Find more slider recipes perfect for game day:
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups Buffalo Wing Sauce, use your favorite
- 12 pack Kings Hawaiian Rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces blue cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a baking dish place the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake chicken for about 35 - 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove from oven and when cool enough to shred, place in a bowl. Add 1 cup of Buffalo Wing Sauce and mix. Add more to your desired taste.
- In a small saucepan melt butter with garlic powder.
- Place bottom of Kings Hawaiian Rolls in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread Buffalo chicken on rolls. Top with rolls. Brush with melted butter and cover with foil. Bake 15 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cut rolls into sliders. Serve with homemade blue cheese dressing.
- Make Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing: In medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, and buttermilk.
- Crumble the blue cheese and stir it into the dressing. Taste the dressing and adjust flavors as needed: adding more blue cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl for dipping sliders.
- Dressing can be made ahead 3 - 4 days. Top with more blue cheese crumbles before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.