More than just a colorful side dish, this creamy coleslaw is a delicious accompaniment to just about any summer dish. Although it does have both sour cream and mayonnaise and must be kept cold, this is perfect alongside hot dogs and hamburgers, pulled pork, ribs and other summertime fare. I found the week 27 recipe of the 52 Week New Recipe Challenge on the Taste of Home website when I went looking for a side dish for a meal I was making for a friend. I tasted the dressing before combining it with the slaw mix and felt it needed something acidic so I added 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar. I also added 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper, just because, well it needed pepper. I’ve adjusted the recipe below.
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Place coleslaw mix in a large bowl.
- In a medium jar with lid, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, sugar, seasoned salt, mustard and celery salt. Top with lid and, holding lid, shake vigorously to combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning. Pour over coleslaw, combine well and refrigerate until serving. Toss to combine before serving.
Adapted from Taste of Home Magazine