More than just a colorful side dish, this creamy coleslaw is a delicious accompaniment to just about any summer dish. Although it does have both sour cream and mayonnaise and must be kept cold, this is perfect alongside hot dogs and hamburgers, pulled pork, ribs, and other summertime foods.
A friend recently lost her dad and I made a meal for the family. Her son is a bit of a picky eater but he loves pork and barbecue. This creamy coleslaw was the side dish to my pulled pork sandwiches.
I sent dessert too. She tells me this no-bake double-layer pudding pie was a hit. It’s important to have something sweet at a difficult time. This seemed to fit the bill.
Coleslaw Tips and Tricks
There are a few things to keep in mind when making coleslaw:
- Taste the dressing before combining it with the slaw mix. If you need to add anything it’s easier to do so before mixing it in.
- Make this recipe the morning of your party or whenever you want to serve it. The flavors need to meld and it just gets better the longer it sits. Even the afternoon before is a good time frame.
- I like to serve this side dish at backyard parties and when I do I place the serving bowl in a larger bowl of ice to keep the mixture cool.
- Using bagged slaw mix from the produce section is a great short cut but you can use also use and cut up green and purple cabbage throwing in a carrot or two that’s been grated. The package slaw mix is about 16 ounces so use the same amount if you choose to cut/ shred it yourself.
I tasted the dressing before combining it with the slaw mix and felt it needed something acidic so I added 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar. I also added 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper, just because, well it needed pepper.
- 1 package 14 ounces coleslaw mix
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Place coleslaw mix in a large bowl.
- In a medium jar with lid, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, sugar, seasoned salt, mustard and celery salt. Top with lid and, holding lid, shake vigorously to combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning. Pour over coleslaw, combine well and refrigerate until serving. Toss to combine before serving.