When the day calls for comfort food, turkey biscuit stew fits the bill. No turkey? Use leftover or rotisserie chicken.
Delicious meals get family around the table. Turkey biscuit stew is pure comfort food that the entire family will enjoy. It’s a meal for a busy night or when the temperatures drop. It’s full of delicious peas and carrots.
Turkey biscuit stew is a great way to use up leftover turkey after Thanksgiving or Christmas. You could also use leftover peas for this recipe. Plain peas are best but if they have butter on them, give them a quick rinse with water.
I’ve made this a couple of times and one time I even roasted some chicken breasts to use in place of the turkey. For a really easy weeknight supper, use a store-bought rotisserie chicken.Turkey biscuit stew is pure comfort food. Hearty and delicious it's the perfect meal on a busy night or when you have leftovers to use up. #leftovers #comfortfood
When I made this recipe I used my Lodge cast iron skillet partially because I love using cast iron but also because it can go from stovetop to oven with no problem.
There’s something so homey about cast iron and this recipe is reminiscent of something Grandma would make. Grandma might also make this chicken noodle soup with caramelized onions too.
My ham, pea, and onion risotto is also a great dish to use up leftovers. I usually make this after Easter.
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-½ ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1 cup cooked, sliced carrots
- 1 tube (10 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, not flaky
- In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet (like cast iron), add butter and sauté onion until tender over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Add broth and milk and bring to a boil. Stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbling. Add the turkey, peas and carrots and heat through. Open refrigerated biscuits and separate. Gently place and arrange biscuits over the stew.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and puffy.
Consider making this recipe with chicken. Leftovers work well in this dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.