Pumpkin and cream cheese come together in these easy and delicious Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins. They make the perfect fall snack for your coffee break.
What ingredients do I need to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins?
You may not need a grocery run to make these satisfying muffins. Here’s an at-a-glance list to see if you have everything on hand.
- Flour – All purpose is what you need.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – make your own to save money!
- Baking Soda – Note soda, not powder.
- Salt – I like sea salt but table salt works too.
- Pumpkin Puree – Not pumpkin pie filling.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar.
- Brown Sugar – Use light brown sugar.
- Eggs – The recipe calls for large.
- Salad Oil – Use canola or vegetable. They are neutral oils and won’t affect flavor.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – Try not to use imitation, pure vanilla is best.
- Cream Cheese – You need a block of cream cheese, not the spreadable kind in a tub.
- Egg Yolk – This is in addition to the whole eggs.
Can I make this recipe into mini muffins?
While I’m certain you could try, I think getting a perfect muffin to cream cheese ratio may be difficult. Consistency is key and making a regular-size muffin will produce better quality.
Don’t forget the paper muffin liners. If you’re worried about the batter sticking, lightly spray the liners with a baking spray that includes flour.
What is the easiest way to swirl cream cheese into a muffin?
These muffins are very easy to make, though a bit time-consuming because you have two mixtures to make, then swirl together.
Swirling is fun and a great way to get the kids involved. It took us a few muffins to get the swirl just right and I’m not sure I mastered it.
But no matter, they tasted delicious. I tried toothpicks, and a fork, and finally settled on a butter knife.
The key to a good swirl is not trying too hard. Do this gently and try to move some batter from top to bottom so the cream cheese mixture is throughout the muffin.
The next time I make them I will use two smaller dollops of cream cheese. One in the middle, one on top, and then swirl.
How can I serve pumpkin cream cheese swirl muffins?
If you’ve never had a pumpkin muffin with a cream cheese swirl, you are missing out!
One bite of these pumpkin cream cheese muffins and you’ll be in heaven. They are perfect to enjoy with a glass of milk, a cup of coffee, or a cup of tea.
These muffins are best served warm or at room temperature.
Serve them on a breakfast brunch buffet, enjoy them for breakfast, or take one to work for a snack.
How do you store Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins?
Because these muffins have a cream cheese swirl, they need to be stored in the refrigerator. If you are serving them within a couple of hours of making them, you can leave them out.
If you choose to refrigerate them, take them about an hour before serving so they come to room temperature.
Can I freeze cream cheese muffins?
I tried and don’t recommend it. The cream cheese part of the muffin becomes a weird consistency and is not appealing. Bake them and enjoy them. Or share with friends and family.
Why you’ll love this recipe
The sweetened cream cheese mixture melts into the pumpkin muffin batter creating a mouthwatering combination of flavors and textures.
Pumpkin cream cheese swirl muffins are an easy recipe that comes together quickly, making it perfect for last-minute gatherings. They are ready in about 30 minutes.
The recipe makes 18 muffins, enough to share.
If you love Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins you’ll love these other muffin recipes
- Jumbo Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Streusel Topping – You’re going to want to put on the coffee to enjoy with these bakery-style muffins.
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze – A taste of the tropics.
- Fresh Raspberry Muffins – Perfect when you have raspberries you need to use up.
More Tasty Pumpkin Recipes:
- Pumpkin Honey Bun Cake – A fall twist on a favorite recipe. Bonus because it starts with a cake mix.
- Pumpkin Spice Milkshake – A summer treat becomes a fall treat.
- Whipped Pumpkin Spice Honey Butter – Perfect for muffins, bagels, toast, pancakes, and more.
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts – Soft and moist, these donuts will have you coming back for more.
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and place paper baking cups in muffin pan. You will need 18.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the can of pumpkin, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, canola oil, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture until there are no lumps. Fill muffin tins ¾ full.
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Top each muffin with 1 Tbsp of cream cheese mixture; use a toothpick to swirl with the batter.
- Bake muffins for 20 – 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.