I love madeleines. My kids love madeleines. Now my husband loves them too, but he didn’t until he had these chocolate dipped chocolate madeleines. Oh and the sprinkles from our sponsor Sprinkle Pop, just put them over the top.
This post, for Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Madeleines, is created for #ChristmasCookiesWeek in conjunction with sponsor products. All opinions are mine alone. This post may contain affiliate links where I receive a small commission with no additional charge to you.
It’s really interesting for how much we enjoy madeleines that I only have one other recipe on the site, for pumpkin madeleines. But, remembering how easy they are to make, I’m now thinking of so many wonderful flavor combinations for future recipes.
In order to make madeleines, of any kind, you need a special pan. There are different madeleine pans but most recipes make 18 cookies or more. So, either get two smaller pans or even a large and small. If you only have one, it is imperative you completely cool the pan before adding the next batch. You also need to butter the pan each time too. Trust me on this.
Madeleines are a cake-like confection and the key to making them is to whip the eggs the right length of time. You use your whisk beater, rather than the flat beater on your stand mixer. Using the whisk whips air into the eggs making the batter lighter and producing a light and fluffy result. I used milk chocolate for dipping but you could use dark or semi-sweet if you prefer.
Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Madeleines
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cake flour not self rising
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- Sprinkle Pop Silver Sprinkle Mix
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Brush madeline pans well with 4 tablespoons of softened butter; refrigerate 5 minutes.
- In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a small bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip eggs with granulated and brown sugars until light and thickened about 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, and stir on low speed until combined. Add vanilla and strained butter; mix just until blended.
- Use a teaspoon to fill the molds with batter. Bake until madeleines are firm and a little mound is puffed up in the middle about 12 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling rack
- In a small heavy combine chocolate chips and vegetable shortening over medium-low heat. Melt stirring occasionally until all the chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Dip cooled cookies in melted chocolate, a few at a time. Sprinkle silver sprinkles from Sprinkle Pop over wet chocolate.