My husband has a huge sweet tooth. In fact, I might go so far as to say all of his teeth are of the sweet variety. I have been wanting to make this 7-Up Pound Cake for quite some time. It’s been in my “to try” file for a couple of years. I made it and had it waiting for him on his recent return from a business trip. Because I like to surprise him like that! We all thoroughly enjoyed this cake and the recipe now has a permanent home in my recipe box.
Truth be told, it wasn’t just for my husband. Exams were coming up for my kids and they get worked up about them so I wanted to make them something special too. This is a classic pound cake. Buttery and dense but also moist. It’s tasty by itself but you could certainly serve it with mixed berries and a bit of whipped cream if you’re looking to dress it up.
- 1-½ cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup 7-Up soda
- 1-½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 7-Up soda
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon or lime peel, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted or plain tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla. Add flour alternately with 7-Up, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough 7-Up to reach desired consistency. If desired, stir in lemon peel. Drizzle over cake.
For the glaze I only used 7-Up, confectioners’ sugar, and the lime zest. The 7-Up adds that lemon-lime flavor in a somewhat subtle way.
Need more ideas for a bbq party? These creamy cantaloupe pops will cool you off on a hot summer day. These patriotic cupcakes are perfect for Independence Day. Cake mix bars are an easy option for any potluck party this summer.