Make Hazelnut Hot Chocolate Drops to keep on hand when you want a warm mug of hot chocolate on a cold day. Make some up for gift-giving to friends and neighbors.
This post is created for #ChristmasSweetsWeek in conjunction with sponsor products. All opinions are mine alone.
Hot chocolate is my indulgence. I love it and in the last few years, I’ve begun branching out to try new flavors and types, making more from scratch and moving away from the packaged powdered stuff. Though I do have those packages in my pantry for emergencies.
But, really, once you’ve made homemade hot chocolate, you will only reach for the packages when you’re tired, sick or no one else wants any.
I know, that last part seems unfathomable but sometimes I’m the only one who wants a warm mug of chocolate. Go figure!
Use these hazelnut hot chocolate drops to mix up a cup of cocoa to enjoy with my hot chocolate cookies. I started with 1/2 a teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut flavoring but certainly add to your taste.
Hazelnut hot chocolate drops are great to have on hand when company comes to visit. You can make a couple of different batches in different flavors to suit everyone’s tastes.
How do you use Hot Chocolate Drops?
Once the chocolate drops are set all you need to do to enjoy a rich and creamy mug of cocoa is to warm 8 to 10 ounces, per serving, of whole milk in a saucepan.
Do not allow the milk to boil. There should just be tiny bubbles around the edges. Once the milk is warm, divide among mugs and gently add a chocolate drop.
It’s a fun addition to a hot chocolate bar at a holiday party. I like to use whole milk, because if you are indulging, why not go all out. These are just as delicious with 2% as well. It’s safe to say that kids will love them.
This recipe makes quite a few hot chocolate drops. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you don’t think you’ll use them all in that time, wrap some up for friends and neighbors.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon Lorann Chocolate Hazelnut flavoring
- Sweets & Treats Sprinkles
- Mini Marshmallows
- Line 36 mini muffin pans with mini liners. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the cream and sweetened condensed milk until steaming. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Return the pan to the stove over low heat and whisk vigorously until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is thick and shiny. Add a chocolate hazelnut flavoring and whisk to combine. Add 2 tablespoons of chocolate mixture to prepared mini-muffin pans. Top some with mini marshmallows, Sweets and Treats sprinkles and leave some plain, if desired. Store covered in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. Bring to room temperature before using.
- To use: Warm 8 - 10 ounces of whole milk in a saucepan until steaming but not boiling. Transfer to mug and add one hazelnut hot chocolate drop to mug. Stir until dissolved.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.