This S’mores Mug Cake is the favorite summertime campfire treat in an easy microwave dessert. It’s perfect when that sweet craving hits and there’s no time to make a batch of cookies or cake.
This is an easy dessert that will extend beyond summer when that need for s’mores hits. In this post, you’ll learn some tips and tricks about making mug cakes so read on!
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals in conjunction with Summer Dessert Week. I was sent samples for recipe creations however all opinions are my own.
Why Make a Mug Cake?
A mug cake is instant gratification. As I mentioned, when that craving strikes, you want something sweet quickly. There’s no time to make and bake a cake, but you can make a mug cake!
Ingredients for S’mores Mug Cake
Many of the ingredients are pantry staples, especially if you make s’mores all summer long.
- Sugar, my favorite brand is Dixie Crystals
- Baking Powder
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Chocolate Chips
- Graham Cracker
How to Choose the Right Mug for a Mug Cake
There are a few things to consider when choosing what mug to make this recipe in. First and foremost, it must be microwave safe. If you’re not sure, don’t use it! Pick an alternative.
Second, the mug should hold at least 8 ounces. If you use a large oversized mug the cooked cake will not reach the top. Don’t use a smaller one because you would risk overflow in the microwave and that would just be a mess to clean up.
The type of mug you use will also affect the cooking time. A tall, skinny mug will most likely take a little longer to cook whereas a shorter and squattier mug will take less time.
Important – Read This!
The center of the mug cake should be gooey. Be careful with your first few bites. It will be hot, you don’t want to burn your mouth.
My microwave is 700 watts and the recipe cook time is based on this wattage. If yours is more or less, you will need to adjust the cooking time.
Other Mug Cake Recipes
If you already have the ingredients, here are some other delicious mug cake recipes. The Oreo Mug Cake is one of the most popular on the site. Be sure to check it out!
- Oreo Mug Cake
- Chocolate Orange Marbled Mug Cake
- Coconut Mug Cake from An Affair from the Heart
- Vanilla Cake in a Mug for Two from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
More S’mores Recipes
- S’mores Breakfast Pastries – Kids will love these before school
- The Very Best S’mores Cookies
- Old Fashioned S’mores Fudge – Perfect for gift giving.
- S’mores Donuts – such a delicious treat with coffee.
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, I used Dixie Crystals
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons mini marshmallows, divided
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1 whole graham cracker, divided
- A piece of a chocolate bar
- Graham cracker crumbs, from half of a graham cracker
- You must use a mug suitable for the microwave. 8-ounce mugs that are shorter and wider work better than tall and skinny mugs.
- In the mug combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Using a fork, stir to combine.
- Add the milk, oil, and vanilla to dry ingredients and stir well to combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips, and 2 tablespoons of the marshmallows. Crush half of the graham cracker and add it to the mug. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Microwave for 60 seconds. Microwaves do cook a little differently from model to model, so cooking times will vary. I started with 60 seconds but if your microwave is more than 700 watts you may want to start with 40 seconds. You can always cook it a bit longer.
- Sprinkle remaining graham cracker, marshmallows, and chocolate over mug cake. Microwave for an additional 10 seconds.
- Remove from microwave. Let sit for a minute. Garnish with a wedge of chocolate bar and graham cracker crumbs. Serve warm.
DO YOU WANT TO STAY UP TO DATE WITH FAMILY AROUND THE TABLE?
Then, if you like some of the items I use or are just looking for a great gift idea, you need to head over and check out my Amazon Store. Find fun kitchen tools, cookbooks, cocktail accessories, holiday essentials, and much more. If you make a purchase, I received a teeny tiny commission at no additional charge to you.
Check out more amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes
Strawberry Banana Sorbet from Big Bear’s Wife
Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizzas from Semi Homemade Recipes
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Cookies from Eat Move Make
Ursula Blackberry Yogurt Mousse Cake from Simply Inspired Meals
Strawberry Upside Down Cake from It’s Shanaka
Margarita Bundt Cake from Fake Ginger
Air Fryer Blackberry Hand Pies from Blogghetti
Lime Raspberry Hand Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Strawberry Peach Poke Cake from Our Good Life
White Chocolate Peach Crumb Bars from Sweet Beginnings
Strawberry Pizzelles from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream from Devour Dinner
Small Batch Emergency Air Fryer Brownies from Shockingly Delicious
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars from Books n’ Cooks
Crescent Roll Peach Dumplings from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Rum Raisin Brownies from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Drumstick Cheesecake Cups from Sweet ReciPEAs
Sheet Pan No Bake Banana Split Cheesecake from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Baltimore Strawberry Pie from Cookaholic Wife