A taste of spring in every bite, these mini lemon cakes with lemon glaze are a fun individual dessert or a delicious treat for friends and family. They are easy to make, full of lemon flavor, with a soft tender texture.
These sweet lemon cakes are perfect for all of your spring entertaining. Whether you’re hosting a spring or Mother’s Day brunch, Easter celebration, or baby or bridal shower, these cakes will be the star of the party.
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals and Taylor & Colledge in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received free products to aid in the creation of the recipes. All opinions are my own.
You’ll need lemon zest for this recipe, in addition to the lemon paste extract. Zest is nothing more than very fine lemon (or lime, orange, or another citrus) peel. It’s fragrant and adds subtle flavor to recipes.
What’s the easiest way to zest a lemon?
Using a Microplane zester is the easiest way to accomplish zesting. See the recipe card for the one I use. It’s one of my favorite tools in the kitchen.
The best part about a Microplane is it takes just the skin of the lemon or other citrus fruit such as limes, oranges, or grapefruits. No white pith under the skin. What’s wrong with the pith you ask? It’s bitter. When you get too far into the white you risk a bitterness for your dish.
Reading through the recipe you’ll see it starts with a cake mix. What makes these lemon cakes so delicious is the way you doctor it up. The egg whites make the crumb softer, more delicate, and light, almost fluffy.
A taste of spring in every bite, these mini lemon cakes with lemon glaze are a fun individual dessert or a delicious treat for friends and family. They are easy to make, full of lemon flavor, and perfect for spring. #lemon #cake
Lemon lovers will enjoy these recipes too:
Do you want to stay up to date with Family Around the Table?
Then, if you like some of the items I use or are just looking for a great gift idea, you need to head over and check out my Amazon Store. Find fun kitchen tools, cookbooks, cocktail accessories, holiday essentials, and much more. If you make a purchase, I received a teeny tiny commission at no additional charge to you.
Mini Lemon Cakes with Lemon Glaze
- 1 18.25-ounce box white cake mix
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract Paste I used Taylor & Colledge
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar I used Dixie Crystals
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Extract Paste I used Taylor & Colledge
- Garnish: lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 6-cup mini loaf pan (I used a Circulon pan, see below) with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cake mix, egg whites, 1 cup water, oil, and lemon extract at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Divide batter among prepared cups.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 – 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle with Lemon Icing. Garnish with lemon zest if desired.
Make Cream Cheese Icing:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter and cream cheese at high speed until creamy.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium. Add confectioners’ sugar, lemon extract, and lemon juice, beating until combined. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until icing is pourable but thickly coats the back of a spoon.