Chocolate and orange come together in this easy mug cake. It cooks in the microwave and is ready in mere minutes. Perfect for when that sweet craving hits.
Who couldn’t use a few wallet-friendly recipes? It’s time to celebrate budget meals. I’ve always been diligent about my grocery budget. I try to plan meals around the weekly ads at my favorite grocery stores. I have 3 on my normal route so it’s not an inconvenience to go stop at any of them. When you take the time to plan, which is key, you can trim your grocery budget. Plus you need to get creative with what’s left in your fridge, freezer and pantry.
Maybe you’re wondering why I’d put a single serving mug cake in a budget meal post. Well, for many reasons. First, you make only what you need. If it’s just you and a friend you don’t need to make an entire cake that will either go to waste or make you feel guilty about eating (or not eating) it. It mixes up quickly and what’s really fun is each guest can make their own.
The second reason is it’s a great way to use up what’s in your pantry. I had just a bit of self-rising flour left, not enough for the biscuits I usually make so I used it up making this for my family.
It’s made in a microwave, which I rarely use, but tastes like it’s made in the oven. Less energy saves money too. So there you have the reasons for this budget post. For more budget meal ideas check the links from my friends at the bottom of the post.Chocolate and orange come together in this easy mug cake. It cooks in the microwave and is ready in mere minutes. Perfect for when that sweet craving hits.
Chocolate and orange is a popular flavor combination and one we love. I made chocolate orange blossoms for my Christmas cookie trays this past holiday season. If you’ve been around my blog for a while you may remember my chocolate dipped orange cookies from a couple of years back.
Other flavor combination ideas include chocolate mint, chocolate, and white chocolate, chocolate raspberry, or just about anything you can conjure up.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons self-rising flour
- Zest of ½ medium orange
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- In a bowl, beat together the oil, egg, sugar and flour until smooth. Pour roughly half the mixture into another bowl.
- To one of the bowl add the orange zest and juice and mix together until combined.
- Tot the other bowl add the cocoa, heavy cream and salt and stir thoroughly.
- Into a microwave proof mug drop alternate tablespoons of the orange mixture and the chocolate mixture until you have used up both.
- Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds at 800W. The cake will rise and still be quite we to the touch.
- Leave the mug cake to cool for 1 minute before eating. Garnish with a bit of orange zest or chocolate shavings for serving.
My microwave is 700W so I cooked it a bit longer. If yours is more than 800W adjust cooking time. Most microwaves have the wattage on the door or interior of the unit.
If making more than one mug cake, cook each separately. They don't take that long!