My son needed cookies for a party at school and I had little time to bake so I handed him a cake mix and set him loose in the kitchen. Then I decided he could write the post too! So, Alex’s Double White Chocolate Chip Cookies were born.
I love to bake. Desserts like cookies or brownies, baking with my mom is one of my favorite things to do around the holidays.
When I was younger, my brother and I would dip marshmallows and pretzel sticks in chocolate my Mom melted. It was an easy way for her to get us in the kitchen. As we got older, we moved into making different things. Of all things, cookies are my favorite thing to make.
Mint, chocolate chip, or even oatmeal, I love them all. With all of the experience baking with my mom, and she told me we were making cookies with cake mix, I thought it was a sin. I found the recipe on the Duncan Hines website. This cookie, which we call Alex’s double chocolate chip cookie, is a chocolate cookie with white and semi-sweet chocolate chips. We substituted chocolate chips for nuts in the recipe.
This cookie was a lot of fun to make. It was used for my bagpipe class party at school after we put on an amazing concert. When I came home after school that day, you can tell that they were a hit. Out of the six people in my class, there were only two left, and those two I left for the teacher.
There were still some leftovers for my family from the other batches and they were happy to try them.
The key to this recipe is how long you bake them. They are supposed to bake for about 10-11 minutes, but once I saw that they were the perfect color, I realized that they only took about 8-9 minutes.
After the batter was made, another tip was to put around 12-14 cookies per baking sheet or less depending on how small your tray is. When they came out of the oven, I let them rest for about 2 – 3 minutes, to ensure that they wouldn’t break apart or stick to the pan when I removed them to the cooling rack.
I really enjoyed this cookie, and so did my friends in the class. I hope you enjoy this amazing cookie as much as my family and I did.
Alex’s Double Chocolate White Chip Cookies
- 1 package Classic Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine cake mix, eggs and oil in large bowl. Stir until thoroughly blended. Stir in chocolate chips and white chips. Mixture will be stiff. Using a cookie scoop, shape into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place 2″ apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. They may break if you do not cool them a couple of minutes before moving. Remove to cooling rack and cool completely. Store in airtight container.