Chocolate Overload Cookies are a decadent quadruple chocolate cookie that will certainly satisfy any sweet tooth craving. Don’t forget to pour a glass of milk.
I live with a houseful of chocolate lovers. Some like milk chocolate, some like dark, and we all like semi-sweet. These Chocolate Overload Cookies have all of those! They are an over-the-top treat to fill the cookie jar or tuck into lunch.
If you’re like me, you have a stash of various kinds of baking chips in your pantry. And a variety of cake mixes for last-minute cookies and desserts. This fact alone, for me, was one of the reasons I made this recipe. Plus the fact, well, CHOCOLATE!
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Dark Chocolate Chips
These chocolate overload cookies really are a chocolate lover’s dream come true. As you can see from the ingredients above there are FOUR types of chocolate, yet they aren’t overly sweet.
- I used a Devil’s Food cake mix for this recipe but you could certainly use a fudge.
- If you don’t have or don’t care for a certain type of chocolate chip replace it with the same amount as your favorite. I will say each different chocolate adds more depth of flavor to this cookie.
- You could even substitute white chocolate for one of the chocolate chips.
People always ask me how I get uniform cookies and the answer is a cookie scoop. You can see my favorite one in the recipe card below. It’s important to have cookies the same size so they bake evenly and you get a consistent result.
Plus, it impresses your friends and family!
How to Serve Chocolate Overload Cookies
With a big glass of milk, a cup of coffee, or even tea. We are milk drinkers in our family so that would be our first choice though either of the other two would be fine too.
Add these cookies to your holiday dessert table, wrap them up in a cellophane bag tied with a festive ribbon, or put them in cookie tins you give to neighbors and friends.
More Cookie Recipes That Start with a Cake Mix
What is a Blog Hop?
I am over the moon excited to participate in my first #FreakyFriday event with some blogger friends. What is the Freaky Friday Blog Hop you ask? Well, it’s not the movie by the same name but I guess there could be some similarities if you’re familiar with the Disney movie.
A blog hop is when a group of food bloggers get assigned a blog from the group (secretly) and then choose a recipe to make from the assigned blog. All of the recipes are revealed on the same day at the same time. The list of recipes and blogs are below and I encourage you to check them out, especially if you like to make food gifts and bake for the holidays!
This is the yearly holiday round of the event. My friend, Michaela, from the blog An Affair from the Heart, hosts and organizes these events and I feel so lucky to have been assigned her blog from which to pick a recipe to make.
I chose her Death by Chocolate cookies though her giant chocolate toffee cookies and seven-layer cookies were also contenders. So was her winter wonderland snack mix because it would be perfect for watching Hallmark movies or holiday specials.
Michaela and I are kindred spirits. We both have kids in college (who we adore), love food (obviously), work hard, enjoy being creative, have furry assistants (she has dogs, I have cats), and love our jobs. Michaela’s blog has been a favorite of mine for a long time and I feel blessed to call her a friend too.
You may be wondering why I choose Death by Chocolate cookies and it’s because I wanted to pick something my family would love and this cookie has all the chocolate bases covered. Plus, now that I have a son away at college I thought I could send him some in a care package.
Which I did…and he loved. There was plenty for him to share with his friends but I’m not sure he did.
Take a look at all of our 2021 Freaky Friday Holiday Cookie Exchange Recipes:
I would encourage you to visit each of the blogs listed below because well, who couldn’t use more holiday cookie and candy recipes?! And, they are amazing sites you should know about.
- An Affair from the Heart – Candy Cane Puppy Chow
- The Carefree Kitchen – Christmas Linzer Cookies
- Devour Dinner – Peppermint Meltaways
- Family Around the Table – Chocolate Overload Cookies
- The Foodie Affair – Easy Pecan Pie Crust Cookie Recipe
- Fresh April Flours – Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The Fresh Cooky – White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Hostess at Heart – Crumbl Cookie Recipe
- House of Nash Eats – Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog – Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Lemoine Family Kitchen – Lemon Thumbprint Cookies with Strawberry Jam
- Lemon Blossoms – Cranberry Orange Biscotti
- Life Currents – Chocolate Mint Rugelach
- Life, Love & Good Food – White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Soulfully Made – Polar Bear Paw Cookies
- The Speckled Palate – Saltine Cracker Toffee
- Sue Bee Homemaker – Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- Take Two Tapas – Sugar Cookie Truffles
Recipe – Chocolate Overload Cookies
- 1 box Devil’s food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil and mix until incorporated. Add the 3 kinds of chips and stir until incorporated.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2″ apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing.