This cornbread recipe came to me many years ago, from a co-worker. It’s the simplest recipe you may ever make and it really is the world’s best cornbread. My family thinks so and so does everyone I serve it to. I often get asked for the recipe and am happy to oblige.
At the end of this post you’ll find links to holiday side dish recipes but You may be thinking how is cornbread a holiday side dish. Well, it is for a couple of reasons. First, in the south, cornbread is a staple alongside just about any meal, not just soups or stews or chilis. I often serve it with fried chicken.
While this cornbread doesn’t have any added sugar it is on the sweeter side due to the addition of the cake mix. You really need to use Jiffy brand mixes. A full size cake mix will not work. Trust me on this. Cornbread in the south tends to be on the sweet side. Using a cake mix also makes the cornbread texture softer than a more traditional cornbread. I bake this in a glass baking dish. The top is nice and golden and the edges a bit crispy as a yummy cornbread should be. This will keep on the counter, covered, for a few days. You can serve this at room temperature but we like it warm with pecan honey butter or whipped pumpkin spice honey butter to make it extra special.
More cornbread recipes on the blog:
World's Best Cornbread
- Cooking Spray
- 2 packages Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 package Jiffy Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup cold water
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray, set aside.
In large bowl, combine corn muffin mixes, 2 eggs, and milk then set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine yellow cake mix, 1 egg, cold water, and beat with mixer at high speed for 3-4 minutes. Fold corn muffin and cake mixes together until blended throughly. Pour combined mixtures into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Try all these tasty holiday side dish recipes:
- Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Ambrosia Salad from Daily Dish Recipes
- Five-Ingredient Bacon-Ranch Creamed Corn from The Weekend Gourmet
- Mashed Potato Casserole from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Orange Maple Glazed Carrots from Simple and Savory
- Roasted Apple and Butternut Squash Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apples from Sweet Beginnings
- Roasted Buffalo Broccoli and Cauliflower from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Seasoned Rice from A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Spinach Pomegranate Salad from Caroline’s Cooking
- Tangerine Beet Goat Cheese Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- World’s Best Cornbread from Family Around the Table