This baked beans recipe is my Mom’s. Rather than call it Mom’s baked beans, I decided to use the name my boys called her so these are now Gigi’s Baked Beans. It’s become a favorite with the next generation so a recipe name change was in order.
I can remember her making this recipe most of my life. It was a favorite of my Dad’s and my brother’s but, truth be told, I didn’t like it when I was a kid. My brother still makes this exact same recipe too. Now, as an adult, I make them almost as often as she did in the summertime. It’s the perfect side dish to serve with burgers, grilled chicken, ribs anymore. Because the recipe starts with canned baked beans, you can make it in no time. I usually sauté the onions while I’m cooking the bacon to save time.
The stoneware bowl I bake the beans in was also my Mom’s. She’d had it for years and it could have possibly been my Grandmothers, but I don’t know that for sure. When she scaled back her cooking, she passed it along to me. There is only a simple marking that says EL and USA, leading me to believe it was made in the US, which makes me happy too.
As #BBQWeek comes to an end, I hope you’ve checked out the other recipes and enjoyed them. Maybe some will make it onto your summer menus.
- 2 (16 ounce) can baked beans (I use Bush's Original)
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 - 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 - 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium saute pan, saute onions in butter.
- In a baking dish, combine beans and diced tomatoes
- Add brown sugar and mix in onions but not butter. Pepper to taste. Add crumbled bacon, stirring to mix.
- Bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 hour or until hot and bubbly around the edges.
Welcome to #BBQWeek
Let’s fire up the grill, serve up some burgers or steaks or chicken and some delicious sides and desserts! Follow #BBQWeek so you don’t miss one delicious recipe. There are more than 20 recipes this week from some amazing bloggers.
- BBQ Bacon Cowboy Burgers from Tip Garden
- Best Memorial Day Hamburgers from Dad What’s 4 Dinner
- Ginger Marinated Tuna with Sesame Rice Steaks from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Fruit Cobbler from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Grilled Marinated London Broil from Feeding Big
- Jerk Chicken from Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Meatballs and Spaghetti from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Queijo Coalho (Brazilian Grilled Cheese) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla