Today starts Farmer’s Market Week! It’s something I get excited about even though we don’t really have great (true) farmer’s markets near me. These easy banana nut muffins were a real treat. I say that because I rarely get to make anything with fresh bananas because recipes usually call for them to be over-ripe. My family devours them before they get many, if any, brown spots. I like brown spots, that means the banana is sweeter. When my Mom lived with us I used to buy extra bananas for her to hide for a few days so I could enjoy them. Or make her delicious banana bread. She gladly hid the bananas because she knew she would be able to share in some the bread. It’s a recipe she made often during my childhood and it was a favorite of my Dad’s. It’s now a favorite of my boys too.
Recently when I was at the store I decided to buy a few more bananas than I usually do and my plan worked. I had just enough that got a bit over-ripe, perfect for these easy banana nut muffins. They are moist and flavorful and perfect with a cup of coffee for breakfast or a mid-morning snack. Tuck a muffin in your child’s lunchbox.
While I love nuts, not everyone does so you can omit them if you prefer. Or you can do what I do sometimes. Mix up the batter and make half without nuts. Fill half the muffin cups with the no nut batter, then add half the amount of nuts to the remaining batter and fill the muffin cups. Bake as directed but just be sure you remember which ones have the nuts.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, bananas and dissolved baking soda, mixing well.
- Stir in the flour, salt, nutmeg and pecans, blending well.
- Evenly pour batter into muffin cups and bake in preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
Monday #FarmersMarketWeek Recipes
- Banana Nut Muffins by Family Around the Table
- Blueberry Peach Pie with Pecan Streusel by The Baking Fairy
- Easy Gazpacho Recipe by Everyday Eileen
- Fresh Corn & Tomato Fettuccine by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Deconstructed Grilled Chicken Fajitas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Corn Salad by House of Nash Eats
- Grilled Shrimp and Summer Squash Tacos by Tip Garden
- Hummus Chicken Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Kielbasa and Cheddar Mini Omelette Cups by The Freshman Cook
- Mexican Street Corn Salad by Simple and Savory
- Parmesan Roasted Zucchini and Tomatoes by Cooking With Carlee
- Potato and Pea Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Ribeye Steaks with Corn Salsa by The Redhead Baker
- Roasted Tomato Salsa by Books n’ Cooks
- Slow Cooker Summer Ratatouille Stew by Palatable Pastime
- Sour Cream Peach Pie by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Summer Pudding by Caroline’s Cooking
- Sweet & Tangy Summer Garden Cucumbers by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Watermelon Cucumber Smoothie by Cookaholic Wife
- Zucchini Quiche by Karen’s Kitchen Stories