Wake up and put a delicious maple sausage croissant breakfast casserole in the oven. A hearty and delicious breakfast any day of the week or for a special occasion.
I love making special breakfasts for special occasions. Birthdays, holidays or really, just because. When I was brainstorming this post, I settled on croissants for a couple of reasons.
One, I had a box of croissants from the store that I needed to use up and they would add so much flavor since they are so buttery.
Two, we were heading out of town and I wanted to use them up before leaving. I know, I could have frozen them but then I might not have made this wonderful maple sausage croissant breakfast casserole.
Ingredients for Maple Sausage Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- Ground Pork Sausage
- Cheddar Cheese
- Maple Syrup
- Half and Half
You may be wondering about the cheese and why I didn’t buy pre-shredded cheese. For starters, I like Cabot cheese. It’s creamy, shreds well, and melts beautifully.
Pre-shredded cheeses have an anti-caking additive that prevents it from melting well. That’s why I always recommend shredding your own cheese off of a block.
If you can find maple sausage feel free to use it. That was my original thought but when I couldn’t find it I improvised.
The maple was very subtle. There are so many layers of flavor. Your family and guests are sure to feel special.
Why We Love This Recipe
- A great way to use up croissants.
- Full of flavor.
- Super easy.
- Easily scaled for more or fewer people.
- Assemble it the night before and bake it off in the morning.
This breakfast casserole would be delightful to serve for an Easter or Mother’s Day brunch, holiday gathering, or just because it’s Sunday.
Dad will feel extra special when you make this breakfast casserole for Father’s Day!
More tasty breakfast recipes:
- 3 croissants, cubed
- ½ pound ground pork sausage
- ¼ cup sweet onion, chopped
- ⅛ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted (I used Cabot)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- 1 cup half and half
- In a 9-inch square baking dish, brush melted butter on bottom and sides. Add croissant cubes and set aside.
- Brown sausage and onion in skillet over medium heat, drain. Reduce heat and stir in maple syrup, mix well then remove from heat.
- Spoon sausage mixture over croissant cubes and sprinkle with cheese.
- In a medium bowl, blend together eggs and half and half. Pour over croissant mixture. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350° F. Uncover casserole and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until egg mixture is set and croissants are golden. Serve.