Mini muffins are so fun to make and my family loves these chocolate chip mini muffins. Perfect for a quick snack or as a treat to tuck into a lunch box.
If you can’t make these now, Pin Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins to make later.
How Do I Serve Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins?
When I host a brunch at home, whether it’s during the holidays or just to have friends over, I love including mini muffins on the menu.
If you’ve ever attended brunch at a fancy restaurant or country club, the pastry bar has a selection of sweets, including muffins.
Sometimes it’s an assortment of jumbo or regular muffins, sometimes mini muffins, and sometimes both.
I love offering a selection of the best mini muffins because that way guests can get a sampling of flavors and there is something for everyone.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
Another recipe that uses pantry staples. These mini muffins are also just the right size to tuck into a lunch box or take to work as a mid-morning snack.
- Pure Vanilla Extract (I use Rodelle vanilla)
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Mini Chocolate Chips (I used semi-sweet)
One thing I really love about this mini chocolate chip muffin recipe is that I usually have all the ingredients on hand, allowing me to make them at a moment’s notice.
Maybe you don’t want to make mini muffins. Maybe you want to make regular size. This recipe is totally adaptable. You will probably get 12 – 18 regular-size muffins. Just line the muffin tin with paper liners and adjust the cooking time, starting with 5-minute increments until they are done.
These are tips and tricks for making this recipe.
- Whether you decide to make mini muffins or regular size muffins use paper muffin cups. It’s OK to spray the paper muffin liners but it’s really not necessary.
- Don’t overbake. In my experience, the tops do not get browned. That’s OK but know this going into the recipe and don’t extend the baking time looking for browned tops.
- Be sure to preheat the oven and get the filled muffin tin in the oven right away. If the muffins sit you risk the mini chips sinking and not being distributed evenly.
- If making the chocolate chip mini muffins, use mini chocolate chips. The regular size will overpower them.
- It’s OK to substitute regular chocolate chips in regular-sized muffins.
More Tasty Mini Muffin Recipes
- Mini Cinnamon Sugar Muffins – Sure to be a winner with kids.
- Mini Apple Muffins with Oatmeal Streusel Topping – Lots of yummy flavors.
- Praline Pumpkin Spice Mini Muffins – Perfect for fall.
Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line mini muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture just until combined. Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop spoon about 1 tablespoon of batter into prepared mini-muffin tins.
- Bake at 375F until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 10-12 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Serve warm.