When I found this streusel-topped apple muffin recipe in my mom’s recipe box I knew I had to try it. She had such an expansive collection of recipes it would take a lifetime to try them all. I don’t remember her making these but can absolutely see her in her North Carolina kitchen making them for my Dad. I decided it would be perfect for apple week with a few of my favorite bloggers. It’s somewhat reminiscent of my Harvest Pound Cake that I posted a while back. I’ve decided I love using fresh apples in baking. I chose to use Granny Smith basically because it’s the variety my Mom used whenever she baked with fresh apples. Plus, who can resist a good streusel topping?
So, #appleweek continues today with main dishes and side dishes. My muffins are perfect for breakfast any day of the week. They won’t keep long, but on the upside, they are so good they won’t last long. They would be great for brunch or a family gathering.
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened applesauce
- 2 cups diced apple
- ¼ cup (½ stick), softened
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cloves.
- In a medium bowl whisk egg, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Add applesauce.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour egg mixture into well and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in diced apples. Divide batter among muffin cups, about ⅓ cup each.
- In a small bowl mix butter, nuts, brown sugar and flour until crumbly. Sprinkle over tops of muffins.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes and then remove muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Monday: Appetizers and Drinks
Apple Cider Margaritas by A Palatable PastimeCaramel Apple Float by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Caramel Apple Martini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramel Appletini by The Speckled Palate
Hot and Boozy Caramel Apple Cider by Love My Messy Messy Mess
Hot Fireball Apple Cider by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Mulled Apple Shrub Mule by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Pumpkin Spice Crockpot Apple Sauce by I Say Nomato
Red Hot Apple Cider by New South Charm
Roasted Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Tuesday: Main Dishes and Sides
Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Chopped Apple Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Fall Apples Become Yummy Applesauce for the Year by Crafty Mama in ME
Harvest Brats with Apple Slaw by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Sausage Stuffed Apples by A Palatable Pastime
Scalloped Apples Casserole by Red Cottage Chronicles
Southern Style Fried Apples by New South Charm
Wednesday: Sweet Treats
Apple Oatmeal Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Apple Pie & Cinnamon Things by Crafty Mama in ME
Apple Pie in a Jar by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Baked Apples with Chocolate and Caramel by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Mini Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Sparkling Cider Pound Cake by Family Around The Table
Thursday: Apple Projects
Apple Bacon Jam by Caroline’s Cooking
Friday: Anything Apple Goes
1 Minute Caramel Apple Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Apple Fritters by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Apple Pie Skillet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramelized Apple and Bacon Jam Crostini by Caroline’s Cooking
Creamy Peanut Butter Apple Dip by New South Charm