Who doesn’t like mini versions of things? It seems like you can eat just a few more than if they were regular size. At least that’s what I’m telling myself. That is certainly the case with these mini apple muffins with oatmeal streusel topping.
Initially, I was just going to leave the muffin as is when it comes out of the oven, but after tasting them I felt they needed a touch more sweetness. Plus, I’m a huge fan of a powdered sugar glaze. It’s a glaze that’s so versatile.
You can just make it with powdered sugar and water or milk but I decided to use the vanilla from Rodelle in this version. The muffins alone are not too sweet but I think the addition of vanilla keeps the glaze from being too sweet.
These mini muffins are perfect on a brunch buffet, ticket in a lunch box, as a mid-morning snack or as a side when serving a main course salad. I love making muffins or quick breads to enjoy alongside a main dish salad like my strawberry salad with candied almonds.
I have to say, even my oldest, who is Mr. Picky, gobbled these up. He’s not a fan of nuts but they were so tiny, he hardly knew they were there. You can certainly leave the nuts out but I think the glaze is really what sold him.
He would never touch oatmeal and I didn’t tell him there were oats in the topping. That is until after he tried them.
When I was preparing the apples for this recipe, I tried one of our sponsor products, Veggie Wash to clean the apples. Now, even though Rainier Fruit sent us beautiful, organic Honeycrisp apples, even organic apples can have residue on them. I found Veggie Wash to do a fine job.
Mini Apple Muffins with Oatmeal Streusel Topping
A delicious fall muffin in a mini size.
Mini Apple Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- 1 Rainier Fruit Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored and diced
Oatmeal Streusel Topping
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup Flahavan's Irish Oatmeal
- ⅛ teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon Rodelle vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease mini muffin pan or pans and set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add brown sugar. Remove from heat when the sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly. (This is so you don't scramble the eggs.)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- Add eggs and brown sugar mixture to the flour mixture, blending well but also being careful not to over mix.
- Gently stir in nuts and apple.
- Fill muffin pans ⅔ full. Sprinkle each muffin with streusel topping.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- For the oatmeal streusel topping:
- Whisk together flour, sugar, oats and salt. Work in the butter until coarse crumbs form.
- For the glaze:
- Mix glaze ingredients and spoon over cooled muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Liz @ Books n' Cooks
Wednesday 4th of October 2017
Mini means a better ratio of muffin to delicious crumb topping :-)
Saturday 30th of September 2017
These muffins look delicious!
Thursday 28th of September 2017
Seriously, Carlee has just been amazing! This is my first time participating and I'm really enjoying it! These muffins sound delicious and I love that you added the glaze.
Wednesday 27th of September 2017
I need to try these! Time to pull that mini muffin pan out and make some good use of it!
Tuesday 26th of September 2017
You are right on so many points. Things are automatically better if they are mini (or GIANT!) and a glaze is always a good idea. These look absolutely fabulous!