Margaritas are a classic summer libation. Frozen margaritas, like my frozen mango margarita, will surly cool you off on a hot summer day but there’s nothing like this best margarita recipe. It’s the classic lime margarita, and it reminds me of my Mom. It was her favorite.
I’ve taken her drink and kicked it up a notch without losing the classic flavor. First, I added fine lime zest to the coarse salt. I have a grater that very finely grates zest. It added a little subtle lime flavor.
The best margarita recipe starts with quality ingredients. Use a good tequila. Many people use a reposado but I prefer to make them with a 100% blue agave tequila. A “top shelf” margarita includes Cointreau. Cointreau is an orange flavored liqueur. I prefer to use a non-alcoholic triple sec, also orange flavor, because the Cointreau only makes the drink stronger. Some bartenders prefer a sour mix instead of fresh lime juice. The first time I had a margarita made with fresh lime juice it was life changing. I’ve never looked back! Try it and you’ll understand.
- ⅛ cup coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 4 ounces Reposado Tequila
- 2 ounces fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ ounces Triple Sec, non-alcoholic
- Lime wheels for garnish
- Lime wedge for wetting glass rim
- On a flat shallow plate combine lime zest with coarse salt. Set aside.
- Using a lime wedge, rim glass so it's wet with lime juice then dip in lime salt.
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine tequila, triple sec and fresh lime juice. Shake to mix. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wheel and serve.
- Asian Inspired Short Rib Burger by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Best Margarita Recipe by Family Around the Table
- Easy Pistachio Cupcakes with Pistachio Frosting by Daily Dish Recipes
- Grilled Doughnuts with Strawberry Basil Dip by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Hawaiian Chicken Sliders by The Beard and The Baker
- Key Lime Pie Mojitos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Curd Frozen Custard by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pimm’s Cup Cocktail by Caroline’s Cooking
- Savory Garlic Grilled Potatoes by Palatable Pastime
- Smoked BBQ Pork Steaks by Our Good Life
- Ridiculously Good Dry Rub for Ribs by Food Above Gold
- Sugar Cone Chocolate Chip Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Tuscan Style Tuna Steaks by A Day in the Life on the Farm