It’s said that bacon makes everything better. I tend to agree. If you ask just about anyone that comes to visit us, they will tell you I serve at least one dish that includes bacon. My brother tells me I need to write a bacon cookbook. When searching the Taste of Home website recently for something to make with chicken breasts I had defrosted I stumbled across a recipe for bacon cheddar chicken. So that’s this week’s Taste of Home Tuesday recipe. I changed the name because I think it’s important to mention that barbecue sauce is involved. It certainly adds another layer of flavor.
When I told my family what I was making, honestly, they said it didn’t sound very good. I think they only decided it was a go when I said bacon was involved. It’s actually a very easy recipe to make. Just make sure you pound the chicken so it’s even and will cook evenly. You could use cutlets that are usually thinner and more even but they are also more expensive. I’m happy to save the money and do a little kitchen prep work myself. If you prefer you can cut up the bacon and cook it but I find crumbling it after cooking to be easier. Do whatever works for you. I used shredded sharp white cheddar cheese but you could use a colby jack, pepper jack for some heat or traditional cheddar. You can use any barbecue sauce your family enjoys. Just keep in mind what would pair well with the cheese. You may not want a spicy sauce with a spicy cheese. The idea is to compliment. This dish is easy enough for a busy weeknight but also impressive enough for entertaining company.
So join me and two of my fellow volunteer field editors as we share delicious recipes for Taste of Home Tuesday. Jolene’s Recipe Journal is shaping fire and ice pickles. Don’t they sound delicious on a burger? Making the Most of Naptime shares chicken parmesan slider bake. They would be perfect for a weekend lunch or game day for upcoming football season.
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded evenly
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In an ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels and reserve drippings.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In same pan, brown chicken in drippings over medium heat, until chicken starts to brown on each side. Brush with 1/3 cup barbecue sauce. Transfer to oven and bake until a thermometer reads 160 - 165 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with bacon and then the cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.