Potatoes are such a versatile vegetable. They go with just about anything and can be made in a variety of ways. Just about everyone loves some form of a potato but these roasted potatoes with rosemary and onions go with just about any entree.
Disclosure: I received products from Melissa’s Produce to aid in the creation of this recipe for their Family Baking Challenge. All opinions are my own.
I’ve been anxiously awaiting the Baby Yellow Dutch Potato recipe in the Melissa’s Produce Family Baking Challenge. This is an adaption of that recipe.
If you’ve never had Baby Yellow Dutch Potatoes, you must try them. They are small, require no peeling, though you can, and are melt in your mouth delicious when roasted.
What I love about potatoes is they seem to take on the flavors of whatever you combine with them. I think there is one thing to keep in mind when working with any potato, they need salt.
It’s important to salt before roasting, and again after they come out of the oven, before serving. I like to make sure the cut side is down on the baking sheet so it gets nice and golden.
Don’t forget to salt the onions too. It helps draw out the moisture. Plus, you need to season each layer.
In addition to these roasted potatoes with rosemary and onions, and the list below, we love this hash brown potato pie. I didn’t include it because it’s more a breakfast recipe. But see just how versatile potatoes are?!
- 1 ½ pounds Melissa’s Dutch Yellow® Potatoes washed and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- Sea Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary stems removed, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl toss potatoes with oil, sea salt, and pepper. Spread into an even layer, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until fork tender and cut side is browning.
- In a skillet, melt butter and add the onions. Over medium heat, caramelize the onions, stirring frequently. Season with salt and add rosemary.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and, once onions are caramelized, add them to the skillet. Toss all together and serve.