This hash brown potato pie, or hash brown casserole, is a family favorite. Not much work goes into making it so it’s an easy dish for brunch or when company comes to visit.
Years ago when Southern Living Magazine offered their Southern Living Cooking School my Mom and I made the event an annual treat.
It usually happened around Mother’s Day so I would treat my Mom to a day of cooking instruction and lunch.
Each year goody bags were given to all attendees with promotional items such as a wooden spoon, coupons, and recipe booklets. This hash brown potato pie was featured in an Ore Ida booklet I received.
One year we were both lucky enough to win door prizes! I actually still have a wooden spoon from one of those shows.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Hash Brown Potato Pie?
- Frozen Shredded Hash Browns
- Green Onions
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Those wonderful cooking shows ended years ago, much to our disappointment. Many of the dishes demonstrated live on in my kitchen and through books like the one that featured this recipe for hash brown potato pie.
It’s easy to make and delicious for a Sunday treat. I often serve it to our company when we have visitors. It makes 6 servings but if there are only 4 of us I just cut it into quarters.
Serve with some bacon, fresh fruit, and biscuits or toast if desired. It’s always a hit and after I make it I always wonder why I don’t make it more often.
Why We Love This Recipe
- So Easy!
- Comes together quickly.
- Just a few ingredients.
- Perfect for a weekend breakfast with family.
More Breakfast Ideas:
While this hash brown potato pie is an excellent breakfast choice and here are more delicious ideas.
- Classic Buttermilk Pancakes – Like the recipe name says, classic!
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls – Made with convenient refrigerated
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Braid – Looks impressive, is delicious, and easy to make.
- S’mores Breakfast Pastries – A summer treat in a breakfast pastry.
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 3 cups Ore Ida Country Style Hash Browns, thawed
- ⅓ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 4 - 6 slices bacon, cooked crisped and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Stir in potatoes, green onions, and salt.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and half of the bacon.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch pie plate. (I use a glass pie plate.)
- Bake 30 to 305minutes or until center is set.
- Sprinkle remaining bacon and ½ cup of cheese over top of pie; continue baking 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Do you want to stay up to date with Family Around the Table?
Then, if you like some of the items I use or are just looking for a great gift idea, you need to head over and check out my Amazon Store. Find fun kitchen tools, cookbooks, cocktail accessories, holiday essentials, and much more. If you make a purchase, I received a teeny tiny commission at no additional charge to you.
Originally published February 29, 2012, and updated April 25, 2021.