This lemon chicken skillet recipe uses many ingredients found in your CSA box or at your local farmer’s market. It’s an easy recipe for any night that’s full of flavor.
Summer is the perfect time for fresh veggies such as lemons, green beans, and red potatoes. All items you can easily find in your supermarket, local farmer’s market, or you may often get in your CSA box.
What is a CSA?
If you’re not familiar with a CSA, or community-supported agriculture, many cities and towns offer them. They are subscription services in partnership with local farms.
It’s been a popular way for consumers to buy in the last few years. The basic concept is a farmer offers a number of “shares” to the community in the form of a membership or subscription. In return, they get farm-fresh produce.
The upside of dealing with a CSA is you know where your produce is coming from and that it was picked fresh and didn’t have to travel far to get to you.
The downside is you don’t know what produce you are getting each week or month, depending on the frequency you choose. It can change from week to week, making menu planning a challenge.
Many of the ingredients necessary for this recipe, outside of the fresh chicken and vegetables, are pantry staples.
Since you start cooking the chicken in the pan before putting it in the oven to bake, you need to pound the chicken so it’s even and cooks evenly. If you prefer to use thighs, you may not need to do so but I suggest adjusting the cooking times accordingly.
Because this lemon chicken skillet dinner is a complete meal, I usually only serve it with a basket of rolls.
This lemon chicken skillet recipe uses many ingredients found in your CSA box or at your local farmer’s market. It’s an easy recipe for any night that’s full of flavor. #dinner #farmersmarketweek
More skillet recipes:
Lemon Chicken Skillet Dinner
- 12 ounces baby red potatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 6- ounce skinless boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 3/4-inch thickness
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups unsalted chicken stock such as Swanson
- 8 very thin lemon slices
- 1 8- ounce package trimmed haricots verts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil, and simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add chicken and thyme sprigs to pan; cook 5 minutes or until the chicken is browned. Turn chicken over. Place the pan in the oven; bake at 450 F for 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan; swirl. Add potatoes, mushrooms, and 1 tablespoon thyme. Cook 3 minutes or until browned stirring once. Combine milk and flour in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture, stock, lemon, beans, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to pan; simmer 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Add chicken; cover, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Thursday’s Farmers Market Week Recipes
- Green Beans with Poblano Peppers by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Chicken Skillet Dinner by Family Around the Table
- Marinated Vegetable Sandwiches by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Peach Cherry Protein Smoothie by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Red Wine Herb Marinara Sauce by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Rustic Peaches and Cream by Making Miracles