I’m going to go out on a limb and say potatoes are my favorite vegetable. There are other vegetables I like but not as much as the potato. In my house every holiday meal must have mashed potatoes but I’ve decided to mix up the “run of the mill” kind with these cheesy baked mashed potatoes.
This is a dish that doesn’t take much more effort than making regular mashed potatoes. You still boil potatoes to mash but then mix in some milk, butter and cheese. I use a mixture of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. The mozzarella makes it a bit stringy meaning you can absolutely see the cheesy goodness.
These cheesy baked mashed potatoes are perfect with turkey, ham, roast beef and any other dish where you’d serve mashed potatoes. They are perfect for company when entertaining or any family dinner
More side dish options on the blog include:
Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons Italian style breadcrumbs, not panko
- Butter for coating casserole dish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a 3 1/2 quart casserole dish by coating it with butter.
- Peel and cut potatoes into one inch cubes. Place potato cubes in large pot and cover with water. Boil over high heat until potatoes are fork tender. Drain potatoes and mash.
- Add melted butter, milk, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese to the potatoes stirring well to combine. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir. Transfer potatoes to prepared casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl combine the breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle this mixture over the potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden and potatoes are piping hot, about 30 minutes.