My Mom loved to cook and she was very good at it. I got my love of cooking from her. She tells me her mother was a good cook too. When I was a little girl, I remember my Italian grandmother making pasta from scratch.
In addition to my Mom’s recipe box, she had two cloth-bound journals in which she wrote and taped clipped recipes plus a few folders full of more recipes that were handwritten. Some she made, many she didn’t.
I don’t remember her making this cinnamon pecan swirl coffee cake. I’m always looking for quick and easy coffee cake recipes to have on hand for busy mornings.
The topping on this coffee cake is sweet and gets the crunch from the cinnamon sugar and pecans. Don’t swirl all of the cinnamon mixture so you have some of that crunch on top.
If you love fantastic toppings on bread and muffins check out my apple praline bread, jumbo pumpkin spice muffins with streusel topping, or cinnamon nut coffee ring. All are company worthy so why not put on a pot of coffee and invite a friend over.
Cinnamon Pecan Swirl Coffee Cake
Enjoy a slice of cinnamon pecan swirl coffee cake with a cup of coffee.
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- For the swirl mixture, in a small bowl combine the cinnamon, sugar and pecans and set aside. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and set aside.
- For the cake: In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the remaining ½ cup butter with the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture one-third at a time, alternating with the sour cream, until well combined. Pour half the batter into prepared pan and cover with half the cinnamon pecan mixture. Spread remaining batter over and top with remaining cinnamon pecan mixture. Sprinkle on the reserved melted butter. With a shape knife, cut swirl mixture into the batter.
- Bake one hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack and remove from pan when completely cool.
This was a hit in my house and now I have to do 2 more loaves for family! Do you recommend just doubling or tripling the ingredients or making 2-3 separate batches following the exact recipe?
Family Around The Table says
I’m so glad you are enjoying this recipe. I would not recommend increasing the recipe. I would make 2 – 3 batches. I can’t promise that by doubling or tripling the recipe it will yield delicious results.
This loaf cake is fabulous, recipe was so easy to follow. Cake was moist and full of flavor from the swirling pattern of cinnamon and pecans. Next time , I will add more pecans . Husband loved it !! Cooked in exactly 60 min at 350 degrees F.
Family Around The Table says
So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thanks so much for coming back to let me know.
Lindsay Cotter says
This is definitely worth waking up for! The smell alone would get me out of bed! hehe
Toni | Boulder Locavore says
That is such an amazing flavor combination!
Jersey Girl Cooks says
I think I can smell the cinnamon! Great with a cup of coffee!
That topping? OH MY GOODNESS! Can’t wait to try this one!!
Mrs Major Hoff says
I love sour cream in a coffee cake, it makes such a difference! Keeps it moist so it doesn’t dry out. Your flavors sound delicious!
Kate Ford says
Yum, what a lovely looking cake – like something you would find in a trendy coffee shop! Lovely flavour combinations too.
Oh yum! Some of my favorite flavors and definitely perfect for this time of year. That topping sounds absolutely incredible.
Pam Greer says
Oh my goodness this sounds so good! Perfect with a cup of coffee!
Kelly Anthony says
This will be perfect for serving for a guest. I’m always looking for quick and delicious recipes to make for my friends so thank you.
Krissy Allori says
My favorite thing to wake up to. YUM!