Reminiscent of 1950’s diner food, this hamburger steak with onion gravy is comfort food, plain and simple. Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles to complete the meal.
My favorite way to eat ground beef is in a cheeseburger. Honestly, I could eat them every night, but this combination of hamburger steak with brown gravy and onions is delicious. It’s a new favorite in my house, especially since I recently made it again.
The fact that it’s an easy recipe is a plus! I like onions. A lot of onions! That’s why you can barely see the hamburger steak beneath those beautifully caramelized onions.
It’s not often I have all the ingredients for a new recipe but I had parsley and beef broth on hand from other recipes I’d made recently. This recipe reminds me of my Dad. I think he would have loved it!
I love cooking in my cast iron skillet and I used it to prepare this dish. When you caramelize onions, be patient. Don’t rush the process or you will burn them. Trust me when I say this but if you need more proof, read my post How To Caramelize Onions.
A few tips about the gravy. In total, the gravy should be reduced by half. I put the patties back into the skillet before it was completely reduced so they had ample time to reheat and I wouldn’t lose all my gravy. Taste before you serve to check your spices. You probably won’t need more salt but it’s good to check.
I served this dish with garlic toast and mashed potatoes for a good, hearty comfort meal. A nice garden salad would pair perfectly too. This is a great meal for a cool fall night.
Find more comfort food recipes and family favorites here:
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Combine ground beef, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Divide meat into 6 even portions and form into patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook patties 6-12 minutes per side until internal temperature reaches your desired doneness. When they are done to your liking, remove the steaks and add onions to the pan, cooking for 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until smooth. Reduce to half, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Return patties to skillet and heat through.
- To serve place hamburger steaks on plate. Whisk in butter, quickly, and spoon gravy and onions over patty. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.