Pumpkin is the quintessential fall flavor. Many people wait, anxiously, for that tinge of coolness in the air to make something with pumpkin. My Mom loved this chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe. It gave me great pleasure to know how much she enjoyed it. Whenever I would visit her in the fall she would ask me if I brought her pumpkin bread. I started bringing it to her regularly. It always put a smile on her face. She devoured it!
Originally, the recipe made 6 mini loaves but I converted it to make 2 regular size loaves. The mini loaves are perfect for gift giving or to give your guests at a dinner party to take home. I prefer using milk chocolate chips but semi-sweet or bittersweet would be good too. I do not use an electric mixer for this recipe. With the amount of sugar and flour, I find it easier to mix by hand with a wooden spoon. Less messy too. Over-mixing will make the bread tougher too. Chocolate chip pumpkin is a flavor combination that will surely become a favorite in your home.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 (15 ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet, milk or bittersweet
- Cooking spray
- Spray 6 mini loaf pans or 2 9x5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Pour melted butter, pumpkin, beaten eggs and water on top of dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and stir gently. Pour the mixture into prepared 6 mini loaf pans or 2 9x5-inch loaf pans until each is 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes for mini loaf pans or 65 to 70 minutes for larger pans.