These easy chocolate duo bars are one of the easiest dessert bars or treats you will make. First, they start with a cake mix, so it really doesn’t get easier.
A few weeks ago I went looking for a treat to send in to my son’s advisory meeting at school. These meetings happen bi-weekly and each student is assigned a week for snacks. I wasn’t given much notice that it was our turn for snack so I had to work with what I had on had.
Not wanting to make a trip to the store, I turned to A Taste of Home and found this recipe which is called yummy chocolate bars on that website. I decided to update the name because my son, actually, renamed them. They are two colors so he called them duo bars.
Originally the recipe called for a white cake mix but all I had was yellow so that’s what I used. Personally, I wouldn’t use a white mix because I think the yellow has more flavor.
These chocolate duo bars don’t look very pretty in the pan. But they are a pan of delicious vanilla and chocolate polka dots.
When you make the bars the bottom crust will be very thin so be sure to spread it evenly. When you drop the batter on top of the chocolate do so in a random manner. When you cut the bars you want a bit of both the cake and chocolate.
Looking for more recipes that start with a cake mix? Try:
Are you ready to try easy chocolate duo bars? Here’s the recipe:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix,oil and eggs. Stir until well combined. Press half of dough into prepared pan.
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt butter and milk chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in sweetened condensed milk. Pour over crust and smoothing to edges. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over top.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting into bars.
Adapted from Taste of Home, originally Yummy Cookie Bars