You’ll have double the chocolate goodness in these chocolate cake mix Christmas M&M cookies. The combination of a chocolate cake mix with the festive holiday M&M will delight this holiday season.
If you’ve read any of my cookie posts you know I like to have a few cookie recipes using chocolate cake mix in my repertoire. I have a friend who calls me the queen of easy cake mix recipes.
While you could use a yellow or white cake mix, I’ve found chocolate is the yummiest! Especially if you use devil’s food over other chocolate varieties such as milk chocolate or fudge.
More Cake Mix Cookie Variations:
- Nutty Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Alex’s Double Chocolate White Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Cake Mix Snickerdoodles
- Christmas Chocolate Chip Cookies
While I made these with holiday M&M’s you could mix it up and use other holiday colors for Easter, 4th of July, or Halloween.
I love baking from scratch but sometimes you just need to get a cookie baked quickly. Like when your child comes home and tells you there’s a bake sale at school the next day. I’m sure many can relate!
I choose not to mix in the M&M’s but rather place them on top. I thought they would look more festive and I think they do. This task would be good for kids to help out.
The first time I made these cookies back in 2017, the M&M mix had white candies. Apparently, that has changed and now they are only red and green. Still festive but I kind of like the white ones too.
Besides the ease of making these Chocolate Cake Mix Christmas M&M Cookies, I love how festive they look on a holiday plate. Because they are so easy, make an extra batch to give to neighbors and friends.
Chocolate Cake Mix Christmas M&M Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix I used devil’s food
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and green M&M’s for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Add all ingredients, except M&Ms, to a bowl and mix well with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. It will take a bit of work to get it all combined.
- Using a small pastry scoop, scoop 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press 3 or 4 M&M’s into each cookie ball being careful not to flatten.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes after removing from the oven, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat until you’ve used all the dough.
- Store in a covered container on the counter for up to 4 days.
This post was originally published December 7, 2017 and updated December 4, 2020.