I was recently looking in the dessert case at the bakery in our supermarket. I often look there for inspiration. This chocolate mousse cake was inspired by a cake my son and I saw.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received products from sponsor companies for the creation of the recipes. All opinions are mine.
This cake may look rich and decadent but it’s no more sweet than a chocolate cake. The cake in the bakery case was not topped with mousse, it was buttercream. I thought the mousse might be a nice change and would make it lighter.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar, I used Dixie Crystals
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 Recipe Chocolate Mousse (follows)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" round springform pan that's at least 2" deep.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk the vanilla, vinegar, vegetable oil, and water in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan 10 minutes, then release the side, but do not remove, the side. Once completely cool reattach the side. Add the chocolate mousse to the top, cover loosely, and chill 6 hours to overnight.
- Before serving, remove sides of springform pan, top with chocolate curls and chocolate dipped strawberries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 bars (1 ounce each) unsweetened baking chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (1 pint) cold whipping cream
- Melt chocolate with sweetened condensed milk in heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, stir in vanilla. Pour into large bowl and cool to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours. Beat until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture until whipped cream is combined. Do this gently so as not to flatten your mixture.
- Spoon mousse into dessert cups. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 6 hours. Refrigerate leftovers.
There is no cook time, beyond melting the chocolate, just a 6 hour chill time.
Welcome to #SpringSweetsWeek 2020 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks! What better way to celebrate the warmer weather and flowers blooming than with food? More than 25 bloggers from around the country have come together to share over 100 recipes perfect for spring! Stop thinking about cold and snow and get ready to enjoy the best spring sweets like cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pies, and even beverages! Our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you so much to Dixie Crystals, Millican Pecan, Door County Coffee, Anolon, Deiss Cookware, Adams Extract, and Fresh April Sprinkles for your generosity. Check out links to their sites in the prize descriptions below. We have an incredible giveaway below! Take a moment to read about it and the prizes you can win!
Tuesday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- 6-Ingredient Mango-Coconut Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava Cake for Passover by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Blood Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Simply Inspired Meals
- Blueberry Flavored Coffee Ice Cream by Jen Around the World
- Blueberry Flower Tarts by Blogghetti
- Brownie Batter Mocha Bundt Cake by Sweet Beginnings
- Chocolate Mousse Cake by Family Around the Table
- Coffee Caramel Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Deep Chocolate Mint Snack Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Pizzelles by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf with Glaze by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Pecan Scones by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pink Champagne Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
- Strawberry Pie Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Pudding by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Vegan Orange Poppyseed Bundt Cake with Strawberry Icing by The Baking Fairy
Check out the amazing prizes in our giveaway!
Prize #1: Millican Pecan is giving one winner a Tower of Treats! Millican Pecan began when E.E. Risien, founded the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s at the junction of the San Saba and Colorado Rivers. He received much recognition for his experiments that altered the course of the pecan industry and helped to establish San Saba as the “Pecan Capital of the World.” From this location, they developed many great pecan varieties, as well as a prosperous orchard that serves our customers well, even to this day. Today Millican Pecan is being run by the 5th generation, the one that launched the Millican Pecan website in 2002. Prize #2: Door County Coffee is giving one winner 20 full-pots of coffee and a Door County Coffee mug. Full pots will consist of seasonal flavors, flavored coffee, and non-flavored coffee. Door County Coffee & Tea Co. was founded in 1993 in Door County, Wisconsin. It is a small, family-owned business, roasting coffee the old-fashioned way – in small batches to exacting specifications. The mission has always been to produce some of the best-tasting and highest quality coffee. They have over 100 types of coffee, all of which are roasted right on site. Prize #3: Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a set of Nordic Ware Bundt Pans. This set contains one Chiffon Bundt Pan and one Vaulted Cathedral Bundt Pan perfect for decorative baking. Since 1917, Dixie Crystals® has been the South’s choice for high-quality sugar and sweeteners. Our pure cane sugar products are all natural, non-GMO and provide consistently delicious results. Prize #4: Anolon is giving one winner an Anolon Advanced 5 piece Bakeware set. This nonstick bakeware set includes two 8 inch round cake pans, one 8 inch square cake pan, a 10 x 15 cookie pan, and a 9.25 x 14 cooling rack! It’s the perfect set for any baker. Established in 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware and by 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware that would revolutionize the world of home cooking because the nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily. Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior that is made with a special blend of sapphire-reinforced nonstick that is triple coated. Prize #5: Fresh April Sprinkles is giving one winner their choice of three 4 ounce bags of sprinkles! Winner can choose from favorites like the Birthday Party Blend, Cotton Candy Blend, Pink Lemonade Blend, and so many others! Fresh April Sprinkles was founded in the summer of 2019 by Lynn April who runs the food blog Fresh April Flours. They produce small-batch, hand-blended sprinkles in a suburb outside of Philadelphia. Our sprinkle blends are carefully crafted with beautiful desserts in mind and can be custom blended just for you! Prize #6: Adams Extract is giving one winner an Adams baking pack with 4-6 items including their amazing 4oz Adams Best® Vanilla Flavor. This prize package is great for anyone who loves to bake! John A. Adams began making and selling his Green Plant Sarsaparilla extract in 1888 in Battle Creek, Michigan. In 1905, he moved his family to Beeville, Texas. Working with just $6.71 worth of materials on top of an old icebox, John A. Adams created a new formula for vanilla. His wife tested it by whipping up a cake and announced, “John, this is the BEST flavoring I have ever used.” “Well, that’s old man Adams BEST,” he responded. The name stuck, and Adams Best was born! To learn more about Adams Extract, to shop their products, or to find delicious recipes visit their webiste. Prize #7: Deiss Kitchenware is giving one winner a kitchen utensil prize package! The winner will receive a digital thermometer, a grater, an apple slicer, and corer set, and a 5 piece utensil set! Deiss Kitchenware is a small, family-driven company that believes it’s easy to cook with pleasure when you have the right tools. This company will bend over backward to make you happy and the president of the company will even answer your letters! They create easy to use, innovative, and reliable products for use in your kitchen. To learn more about the company and the products they sell visit their website.
Thank you, sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Millican Pecan, Door County Coffee & Tea Co., Anolon, Fresh April Sprinkles, Deiss Kitchenware, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided bloggers with the product to use for recipe creation. All opinions are my own. The giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.