I was recently looking in the dessert case at the bakery in our supermarket. I often look there for inspiration. This chocolate mousse cake was inspired by a cake my son and I saw.
Pin Chocolate Mousse Cake for Later
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received products from sponsor companies for the creation of the recipes. All opinions are mine.
This cake may look rich and decadent but it’s no sweeter than a chocolate cake. The cake in the bakery case was not topped with mousse, it was buttercream. I thought the mousse might be a nice change and would make it lighter.
I was recently looking in the dessert case at the bakery in our supermarket. I often look there for inspiration. This chocolate mousse cake was inspired by a cake my son and I saw. #cake #chocolate #sweets
Chocolate Mousse Cake
Chocolate mousse cake will be your new favorite special occasion cake.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar, I used Dixie Crystals
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 Recipe Chocolate Mousse (follows)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" round springform pan that's at least 2" deep.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk the vanilla, vinegar, vegetable oil, and water in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan 10 minutes, then release the side, but do not remove, the side. Once completely cool reattach the side. Add the chocolate mousse to the top, cover loosely, and chill 6 hours to overnight.
- Before serving, remove sides of springform pan, top with chocolate curls and chocolate dipped strawberries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy and Delicious Chocolate Mousse
The entire family will enjoy this easy and delicious chocolate mousse. It's light, creamy, and full of delicious chocolate flavor.
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 bars (1 ounce each) unsweetened baking chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (1 pint) cold whipping cream
- Melt chocolate with sweetened condensed milk in heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, stir in vanilla. Pour into large bowl and cool to room temperature, about 1 ½ hours. Beat until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture until whipped cream is combined. Do this gently so as not to flatten your mixture.
- Spoon mousse into dessert cups. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 6 hours. Refrigerate leftovers.
There is no cook time, beyond melting the chocolate, just a 6 hour chill time.
Saturday 28th of March 2020
It's chocolate on chocolate which is a win win for me!! This looks perfectly delicious.
Tuesday 24th of March 2020
This cake looks absolutely divine! I'll take a big ole slice!