Do you ever have days where you just want something chocolate? That was the case recently in my house so I pulled out this favorite recipe for Chocolate Chip M&M Bars.
I love entertaining family and friends for backyard parties. The sunshine, warmer temperatures, and summer breezes energize partygoers.
But planning a cookout, plus shopping and making all the food, can be expensive and exhausting. That’s why I love to make them potluck parties.
These chocolate chip M&M bars are not only easy to make, but they also travel well if you are going to a park or a friend’s house for a party.
In fact, they are so easy, this is a recipe older kids can make with little supervision. What a great help they would be for the party planning. Put the kids on dessert duty.
This recipe is full of chocolate flavor, gets a chewy texture from the oats and a bit of crunch from the M&M’s. It’s easily made with pantry staples that you most likely have on hand. If you don’t have regular size M&M’s on hand, the mini version will do just as well.
More desserts perfect for a backyard #BBQ:
Chocolate Chip M&M Bars
Easy enough for older kids to make on their own!
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 ½ cups M&M's, I used milk chocolate but other flavors would be delicious too
- In a large bowl combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt. Add the melted butter and mix until crumbly. Set aside 1 ½ cups of mixture for the topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a small saucepan combine the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and shortening. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until the mixture is melted together and smooth.
- Evenly spread the chocolate mixture over the crust and sprinkle with the reserved crumb topping. Evenly distribute M&M's over the top, gently pressing the candies into the crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes or until edges are golden and center is set.
Friday #BBQWeek Recipes
- Bruschetta Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Chip M&M Bars by Family Around the Table
- DIY Gia Russa Pasta Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Cheesecake Fruit Dip by Blogghetti
- Grilled Chipotle Ranch Burgers by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mississippi Mud Cookie Cups by The Spiffy Cookie
- Peach Bourbon Tea by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- S’mores Bar by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream by Sweet Beginnings
Christie Campbell says
What is it about M&Ms that puts a smile on my face? They’re so fun and so delicious. These bars are calling my name.
The Freshman Cook says
I wish I had one of these right now! They look fantastic!
I love M&M bars! Such a fun and easy treat.
Lisa Kerhin says
Yummy dessert to have at any backyard BBQ