I’ve always been more of a traditional cookie fan than a bar cookie person. However, recently, I’ve been making more and more bar recipes, including this one for cinnamon pecan bars. I didn’t get to do all of the holiday baking I had wanted to last holiday season. Both my son and I were sick with pneumonia. He spent a night in the hospital before Christmas I spent a week in the hospital after Christmas. Let me tell you, that was not fun. So, need less to say, I have quite the collection of nuts, a variety of chips and caramels on hand.
This recipe, from Taste of Home, had been in my “to try” file so I thought it would be perfect for this back to school event. It’s perfect for a lunch box, with your coffee or tea for dessert, or when your kids get home from school. Doesn’t everyone like to find a treat in their lunch or come home to one for dessert? Need more lunch box or after school treat ideas? Try easy chocolate duo bars, easy cake mix bars, and salted chocolate chip cookies.
Cinnamon chips may be difficult to find outside of the holiday season. They are Hershey’s brand and may be available on line. A baking supply site might be the best place to look. So with that said, this would also be a nice addition to a holiday goodie tray.
- 1 package butter pecan cake mix
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup cinnamon baking chips
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and brown sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla and melted butter and mix well. Stir in pecans and milk chocolate and cinnamon baking chips.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Banh Mi by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Cinnamon Pecan Bars by Family Around the Table
Gingered Shrimp and Veggie Bowl by A Day In The Life on The Farm
Ham and Cheese Rolls by Cooking With Carlee
Whole Wheat Olive Oil Crackers by Caroline’s Cooking
Don’t forget to Pin!