This recipe for the best Halloween Muddy Buddies mix comes together so quickly it’s scary! If you’ve never made them before you’ll find they are addictive.
Muddy Buddies are a popular treat. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I am a sprinkle hoarder. This recipe is perfect for using some up.
I had some fun sprinkles in my pantry – bones and a mix that included candy eyes. I also searched my pantry for anything else I could add and found Halloween M&M’s that my husband bought.
If you are a peanut butter lover, you could substitute Reese’s Pieces. That would certainly be delicious and very Halloween like in color.
This mix is ideal for a Halloween party treat or to give to neighbors as a sweet surprise. If you make BOO! bags, or gifts, for friends and neighbors, this would be a delicious addition. I’ve included it this year in the one I’m giving to my next-door neighbor.
If you’ve been around the blog long, you know Dixie Crystals is my go-to sugar brand. Their confectioners’ sugar is fine, rarely needs sifting, and is ideal for this recipe. It doesn’t clump up but rather coats the cereal evenly.
A few recipe tips:
- Make sure your bowl is large enough to melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. You want a smooth consistency and the ability to stir it in a right-sized bowl.
- When pouring the chocolate mixture over the cereal, stir as you go along. You’ll get a better and more even coat of chocolate.
- Be very gentle when you stir. Use more of a folding motion so as not to break up the cereal too much.
- Put the powdered sugar in a large, gallon-size, zip-lock bag, then add the chocolate-coated cereal. Close the bag, making doubly sure it’s secure, and gently shake the mixture to coat it with the sugar.
- Store, in an airtight container, for up to a week, but it probably won’t last that long. You can see my favorite container to use in the recipe card.
More Muddy Buddy Recipes
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies – this is a treat for anyone who loves cookies and cream. Make it for a movie night or game day.
- Easter Muddy Buddies – a fun and festive addition to a brunch dessert table or candy display.
More Sweet Halloween Treats
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, I used Dixie Crystals
- 1 cup Halloween M&M's
- 1 cup candy corn, I used Brach's
- Edible Bones
- Halloween Sprinkles Mix
- Place Chex cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 45 seconds remove from microwave and stir. Return to microwave for 25 seconds and remove and stir again. If still not melted, repeat process, lowering the number of seconds each time.
- Stir in vanilla extract once the mixture is smooth.
- Combine chocolate mixture with Chex cereal. Gently stir until evenly coated.
- Combine cereal and powdered sugar; mix until well coated.
- Add candy corn, sprinkles, M&M's, and bones.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.