This recipe for the best Halloween Muddy Buddies mix comes together so quickly it’s scary! If you’ve never made them before you’ll find they are addictive.
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals, in conjunction with #HalloweenTreatsWeek. All opinions are my own.
I had some fun sprinkles in my pantry – bones and a mix that included candy eyes. I also searched my pantry for anything else I could add and found Halloween M&M’s that my husband bought.
If you are a peanut butter lover, you could substitute Reese’s Pieces. That would certainly be delicious.
This mix is ideal for a Halloween party treat or to give to neighbors as a sweet surprise. If you make BOO! bags, or gifts, for friends and neighbors, this would be a delicious addition. I’ve included it this year in the one I’m giving to my next-door neighbor.
If you’ve been around the blog long, you know Dixie Crystals is my go-to sugar brand. Their confectioners’ sugar is fine, rarely needs sifting, and is ideal for this recipe. It doesn’t clump up but rather coats the cereal evenly.
A few recipe tips:
- Make sure your bowl is large enough to melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. You want a smooth consistency and the ability to stir it in a right-sized bowl.
- When pouring the chocolate mixture over the cereal, stir as you go along. You’ll get a better and more even coat of chocolate.
- Be very gentle when you stir. Use more of a folding motion so as not to break up the cereal too much.
- Put the powdered sugar in a large, gallon size, zip-lock bag, then add the chocolate-coated cereal. Close the bag, making doubly sure it’s secure, and gently shake the mixture to coat it with the sugar.
- Store, in an airtight container, for up to a week, but it probably won’t last that long. You can see my favorite container to use in the recipe card.
More Muddy Buddy Recipes:
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies – this is a treat for anyone who loves cookies and cream. Make it for a movie night or game day.
- Easter Muddy Buddies – a fun and festive addition to a brunch dessert table or candy display.
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, I used Dixie Crystals
- 1 cup Halloween M&M's
- 1 cup candy corn, I used Brach's
- Edible Bones
- Halloween Sprinkles Mix
- Place Chex cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 45 seconds remove from microwave and stir. Return to microwave for 25 seconds and remove and stir again. If still not melted, repeat process, lowering the number of seconds each time.
- Stir in vanilla extract once the mixture is smooth.
- Combine chocolate mixture with Chex cereal. Gently stir until evenly coated.
- Combine cereal and powdered sugar; mix until well coated.
- Add candy corn, sprinkles, M&M's, and bones.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Take a look at more spooky Halloween recipes from our #HalloweenTreatsWeek Bloggers today: Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Peanut Butter Spider Cookies from BigBearsWife
- Chocolate Almond Owl Eye Cookies from Savory Moments
- Halloween Sugar Cookies from House of Nash Eats
- Mini Mallowmar Candy Corn Cookies from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Chocolate Chip Spider Cookies from Fresh Coast Eats
- Black Cat Whoopie Pies from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Halloween Cakes & Cupcakes:
- Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake from The Flour Handprint
- Flying Purple People Eater Cake Balls from The Spiffy Cookie
- Cream Cheese Brownies with Pumpkin from Back To My Southern Roots
- Pan de Muerto (Day of the dead bread) from Lemon Blossoms
- Eye of Newt Halloween Milkshake from It’s Shanaka
Sweet Halloween Treats:
- Halloween Marshmallow Pops from Devour Dinner
- Monster Mouths from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spooky Peanut Butter Balls from Tastes of Homemade
- Spider Web Ice Cream Pie from An Affair from the Heart
- Halloween Fudge from Sweet Beginnings
- The Best Halloween Muddy Buddies Mix from Family Around the Table
- Halloween Treat Popcorn Balls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Halloween Charcuterie Board from I am a Honey Bee
Savory Halloween Recipes:
- Air Fried Bat Wings from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #7 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #8 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #9 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #11 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Prize #13 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
a Rafflecopter giveaway Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes. We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!